spanish inmigration to north italy

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
6 posts • Page 1 of 1

spanish inmigration to north italy

Postby mimifo » 19 Jan 2008, 08:27

was there an spanish inmigration to italy in 1600 or before?
mimifo

Re: spanish inmigration to north italy

Postby PeterTimber » 19 Jan 2008, 16:25

Sure was. There was si much written ion the subjec t that perhaps you can refine what your research objectives are to pinpoint your interest more accurately.=Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby Aether » 19 Jan 2008, 17:12

mimifo,

Before the political unification of Italy one must be more specific and refer to the various areas, such as:

the Duchy of Savoy, Duchy of Milan, Republic of Venice, Republic of Genoa, Duchy of Modena, and other minor principalities.

Are you concerned about Carlo V?

You must narrow down your research. Geographical? Political? The history of "Italy" is not that simple.

Aether :?
"Fiori di grano.
Amici piu' di prima saremo;
Amici piu' di prima da lontano".
Aether
Rookie
Rookie

Postby PeterTimber » 19 Jan 2008, 17:59

Just a comment. When the inquisiiton imposed mass deportation of both the Jews and Arabs in 1492 there was large migrations of Jews to Italy and northern europe while most arabs went back with their caliphs to North Africa if they did not convert to Christiantiy so I imagine by the 1600's their routes were well established.

Many Jews found their way into Sicily (some estimates say 40% of population were jews in Sicily but that is heresay) and southern Italy with the arabs who were swept up in Alexandria by the Caliphs and their troops and when the Moors (arabs) were expelled from Spain and Southern Italy as well since it was under Spanish rule, many of the Jews fled from the south of Italy to the north where their fellow jews migrated from Spain.=Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby Aether » 19 Jan 2008, 19:49

mimifo,

I am a little confused! Are we considering Voluntary Immigration, Religious Persecution, Jewish diaspora, Isabel and Ferdinand religious decisions regarding Spanish nationals, or the movements of the "Spanish troops"of Carlo V?

Voluntary immigration for whatever reason? This is a very complex issue, lets clarify it.

Should we include the "arabs"? Are we including "arabs" - first, second and following generations born in Spain as part of "Spanish immigration" part of Jewish diaspora?

At this point I have no idea what "mimifo" needs ...

I would like to offer some help, but first learn what it is requested.

Aether :?
"Fiori di grano.
Amici piu' di prima saremo;
Amici piu' di prima da lontano".
Aether
Rookie
Rookie

Postby mimifo » 20 Jan 2008, 07:10

mimifo wrote:was there an spanish inmigration to italy in 1600 or before?

my first known ancestor was born in 1640 in Finalborgo, finale ligure.
But my father always said that they came from northern Spain. Any documents to learn this?

I looked in Spanish, Sephardic, Ashkenasis medieval records and I don't find any Da Forma, what is the italian meaning of Da Forma?
mimifo

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian History & Culture