*** There is a problem with new registrations - Contact us when you did not receive an activation email ***

Surname Question

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Surname Question

Postby Ritamay » 25 Jun 2008, 07:09

If a surname -- this case RAGUSA -- is also a name of a particular region, et. al, is it implied that family lineage would have a connection to this region?

Thanks in advance to whomever can answer my question :D

Rita
Ritamay
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Surname Question

Postby Poipuo4 » 25 Jun 2008, 14:08

http://gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/genera.html

If you run Ragusa in this surname distribution map (put it in where it says cognome), there appears to be a heavy distribution in Sicily. So, yes it would imply that your lineage comes from Sicily. The problem is that some surnames are very common and have wide distribution. There looks like a heavy distribution in the North as well. Now this could be from people moving or it could be that there are several branches from that surname.

Maybe one of our Italian members can respond with an little more detail and knowledge than I can.
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Postby Julo » 26 Jun 2008, 03:02

This might not be your case because the history of surnames in Italy is a complicated subject. In many cases people who had surnames with the names of geographical places (towns, localities, regions) like Ragusa, Messina, Napoli, etc.were of jewish lineage. In 1492 the spanish kingdom initiated the expulsion and persecution of jews from Spain and related places under spanish rule, such as Sicily and Sardinia. As jews started to migrate north and east, many took the names of the towns they were from. As I said, this might not be your case but there could be a definite possibility to a remote jewish lineage.
Julo
Rookie
Rookie

Postby misbris » 26 Jun 2008, 03:31

This subject was discussed in another thread. For reference

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... names.html
misbris
Master
Master

Postby Ritamay » 26 Jun 2008, 04:50

Hey you nice people -- thank you for the responses to my post. I have since read the previous thread on this topic -- most interesting information.

Ah..the many possibilities to explore! Now I will delightfully retrieve into a history book or two:... :D

Rita May
Ritamay
Rookie
Rookie

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian History & Culture