Italian horn, and another question.

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
QuestionSleep

Italian horn, and another question.

Post by QuestionSleep »

Hey, sorry if this is a little pointless, but does anyone else have an Italian horn? I have my great grandfathers, I wear it all the time. I was actually surprised to see sombody else in my school with one! (I live in Maine, so the Italian population is pretty low)
and is it ture that you can only get them in Italy?

Oh yeah. Sadly, I'm not very eduacate on Italy itself, so sory if this is a ignorant question:
I have heard that Northern and Southern Italians have a very different appearence, and differnt culture, is this true? and what are the differences?
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Italian horn, and another question.

Post by nuccia »

I live in Toronto where there is a high Italian population...everyonehas a horn. All my kids were given one at birth as well...actually, they have all three hope, faith and charity.

I'm a Southern Italian and have olive skin tone and dark hair as most southerns have. I believe the Northeners are fairer and yes, we have some different traditions...

Nuccia :D
Marisa6
Elite
Elite

Post by Marisa6 »

When I was younger I used to wear my horn and my cross together. Hmm - I wonder what the church has to say about that :lol:

There are quite a few difference between the northerners and southerners. I don't know if that is still true in Italy today, but to an extent, immigrant communities are almost a sort of microcosm of what Italian attitudes were like many many years ago. In short, they have kept the values of the ancestors who left perhaps 100 years ago, and there was then suspicion between the groups. In Scotland, there are many Italians from north and south - BUT they tend to marry within their own groups. There is very little intermixing. Is that true elsewhere anyone :?:

Marisa
Visocchi, Forte, Marcantonio, Iannetta
QuestionSleep

Post by QuestionSleep »

nuccia wrote:I live in Toronto where there is a high Italian population...everyonehas a horn. All my kids were given one at birth as well...actually, they have all three hope, faith and charity.

I'm a Southern Italian and have olive skin tone and dark hair as most southerns have. I believe the Northeners are fairer and yes, we have some different traditions...

What do you mean all three? are there different meanings to them or something?
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

No, there is one horn..one anchor and a heart (I can't remember for sure)..the horn can be worn separately and often is...or can be worn as a trio..they stand for hope, faith and charity...

The horn is also worn to ward off evil...

Nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
QuestionSleep

Post by QuestionSleep »

nuccia wrote:No, there is one horn..one anchor and a heart (I can't remember for sure)..the horn can be worn separately and often is...or can be worn as a trio..they stand for hope, faith and charity...

The horn is also worn to ward off evil...

Nuccia
Oh, I see, thats pretty cool.
QuestionSleep

Post by QuestionSleep »

So it has come to my attention that the Italian horn...looks like a sperm.... to put it bluntly. I knew it did, but it never bothered me because hey its my culture, and my great grandfathers, so its like a memory of him--and obviously its not a replica of a sperm. But today, and recently many people have wondered why I am 'wearing a sperm charm'
So anyways, I am going to continue to wear it, BUT are there any other good luck symbols (sayings too I guess) just for future refernce if wanted to get a tattoo or something...?
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I messed up...it's a heart, and anchor and a cross. :oops:

As for the "sperm charm" people are either just being silly or really don't know. Explain it once if you wish and then forget about it!

As for other good luck charms you might try this site..

http://www.luckymojo.com/charmbracelets.html

acman319
Rookie
Rookie

Post by acman319 »

nuccia wrote:I messed up...it's a heart, and anchor and a cross. :oops:

As for the "sperm charm" people are either just being silly or really don't know. Explain it once if you wish and then forget about it!

As for other good luck charms you might try this site..

http://www.luckymojo.com/charmbracelets.html

What happened to the horn charm? You just said the trio was a heart, an anchor, and a cross.
Ciao!
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Just saw this...I did say I messed up... :lol: :lol:

The horn is separate and can be worn separately but could be worn with the hope faith and charity charms.

Now, just as a side note...has anyone ever seen the old Archie Bunker episode where Archie's Italian neighbor gives him the mal'occhio (corni, hex,) for picking on his wife...?? Rerun was on last night. Just priceless!
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

the horn, in Italy, have same meaning, in north and in south...... it is a superstition about the envy.. so .......to make the horns with hand it means "to cross" ... "to eliminate" the envy... another gesture, similar and with same meaning is to touch the "intimate parts"... better if male's parts... suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
james442

Post by james442 »

Hey, sorry if this is a little pointless, but does anyone else have an Italian horn? I have my great grandfathers, I wear it all the time. I was actually surprised to see sombody else in my school with one! (I live in Maine, so the Italian population is pretty low)
and is it ture that you can only get them in Italy?
joetucciarone
Elite
Elite

Post by joetucciarone »

My grandpa, whose family is from Campobasso, wore what he said was (I'm rephrasing this for gentility) the private part of a male racoon.
adneycandy

Post by adneycandy »

BUT they tend to marry within their own groups. There is very little intermixing. Is that true elsewhere anyone :?:
waleeed
BrownEyedGirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by BrownEyedGirl »

Horns are quite common in my area. I live in the Northeastern United States. You could go into any local jewelry store and buy one. A lot of people wear horns with their crosses.

Italians from the North and South are said to look differently. My mother is of Italian descent. She and her sister were very blonde babies. They were all light. As a matter of fact, extremely light. My beloved grandmother and her father had dark hair and dark eyes but light skin. My great grandmother had auburn hair, snow-white skin, and hazel eyes. My beloved grandfather, his father and siblings had natural blond hair, hazel or blue eyes, and they were over six feet tall. And they were all from Campania so I don't know about that stereotype. :wink:
For Europe, With Love.