Help Translating Letter to Italy

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
danezeeox

Help Translating Letter to Italy

Postby danezeeox » 25 Aug 2008, 23:44

Experts:

I've tried using some of the form letter websites you have posted, but I want to add some extra lines to my letter and I just would like everything to be correct. If it is possible, could anyone translate the following letter into Italian? I'd appreciate it.

Dear Sir or Madam:

My name is Dana Giacobello. I live in the United States and am researching my family history. My great-grandfather, Raffaele Pesce, was born in 1881 in Tollo, Chiete. I am looking for any information you may have regarding him, his parents, or any siblings he might have.

I also am researching my great grandmother whom he married, Maria Giuseppa Ciccotelli. She was born around 1899 or 1900. I know she had at least three siblings, Urbano Ciccotelli, and Natalia Ciccotelli. I do not know the name of the fourth sibling. Any information you have regarding any of these people would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Dana Giacobello

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Help Translating Letter to Italy

Postby PeterTimber » 26 Aug 2008, 01:48

Are you sure the Uffico di Stato Civile you plan on mailing this additon to your request for a document will conduct the requested research for you?? Unless you have some advanced indication that they will condcut such research in your behalf, I fear it may not be honored. =Peter=

danezeeox

Postby danezeeox » 26 Aug 2008, 02:07

I assumed it would because my great-grandfather requested his birth certificate from there. Also, my neighbor is conducting his research and tried this. I figured it would just be worth a shot. Do you disagree?

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 26 Aug 2008, 02:25

Like chicken soup, it can't hurt. =Peter=

elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby elba » 26 Aug 2008, 05:43

I have noticed that when someone asks for 'any information' on unspecified persons (i.e. 'siblings') there is rarely, if ever, any response.

Most of these records have to be searched by hand and so even a search for a SPECIFIC piece of data would be very time consuming. So it follows that if the request is for 'any information' will be practically impossible to complete.

It would be far easier for them, and perhaps more fruitful for you, if you provide at least a little bit of information on separate questions, even if they are in the same letter.

List clearly what you want, thus making it easier for them to pick up on your individual requirements.

For example try asking for:
Raffaele Pesce - Birth act.
Born in 1881.
In Tollo, Chiete.

That in itself should provide you with enough information to then follow through with further specific requests.

But
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 26 Aug 2008, 12:41

You should consider sending $10.00 (US$ 1.50=1 Euro) in cash to encourage someone to take the time at the end of the day when they do their mail in researches. They are poorly paid clerks and I have always either got my money back or someone had a cup of coffee on me;always getting the documents. =Peter=

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 26 Aug 2008, 12:49

Further if you receuive information as to the father of both your Ggrandfather and Ggrandmother, respectively you can then turn around and request a Certificato di Stato di Famiglia storico (family status certificate) for each one which will show your grandparents and their siblings along with marriages and deaths. This also maybe requested along with your (take a chance) letter. =Peter=

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 26 Aug 2008, 19:43

Tollo is in CHIETI province and not Chiete... better to write the right province name....
Raffaele Pesce arrival:
Name: Raffaele Pesce
Arrival Date: 16 Mar 1905
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1882
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Ship Name: Germania
Search Ship Database: Search the Germania in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 22
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_544
Page Number: 48

joining at Francesco Di Mascio friend..
your letter is for potential relatives or to civil records office in Tollo? regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”