Registro di leva help - please!!!

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Rav78

Registro di leva help - please!!!

Post by Rav78 »

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice and assistance in contacting the correct achive for the registro di leva of my wife's great grandfather, Olindo Gallucci.

I believe that Olindo was originally from the Campania region of Italy (possibly Castelforte). Olindo emigrated to England in the early 20th Century where all but one of his children was born - his eldest son Victor Renato Gallucci was born 3rd of January 1902 presumably in Italy to Olindo and his wife Cornelia (Cornelia Maio).

Olindo retired in 1927 and moved back to Italy to settle in Formia, where I presume that he also died.

I have tried contacting the achive of Avellino and Napoli, but have not yet had a response - the Napoli record office returned a mailbox full email, so I guess that they do not check that one very often.

I am not even certain that these are the correct archives, but they are the ones that come up when I search for achives for Castelforte and Campania.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Rav78

Re: Registro di leva help - please!!!

Post by Rav78 »

Sorry...I think I posted this in the wrong forum :-/
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

No you didn't but the archives for military service are open to the public after 75 years with copies furnished to the provincial archives and made available to the public. Each provincial archive has the records of the military district within its provincial boundries.

This should set the matter straight for the next step(s). You might wish to try the Mormon history Library nearest your home and see if the Mormons have microfilmed the military records for the province in which he was conscripted. LKast i heard they were in the process but may have completed their task for all of Italy.

If you wish you can write directly to the approrpiate provincial archives. Do you know for sure what that province was?? =Peter=
whymse
Rookie
Rookie

Post by whymse »

Here is some info from my search for the same records:

These two sites have good info on the records:
http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/ita ... logy/85042
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ilpip ... _recds.htm

Basically, I knew my great-great-grandfather was from Campania region. I needed his comune which I believed was in the province of Salerno or Napoli.
I emailed the Archivio di Stato di Salerno first with his information and they quickly (next day) responded they had no results. Obviously this request was in Italian so I did a very basic translate.google.com request.
They told me that if I provided his parents names or comune that would help.

After the "rejection" from Salerno I emailed the Archivio di Stato di Napoli, because I had family stories that he served in the police or military in Napoli. About a week later they came back and said that their records aren't digitized and they are also missing some years. They said they would need his comune to find the records. They took about a week to get back to me. (This was about a month ago)

Suanj then found my ancestors in Padula, Salerno and I re-wrote to the archives there and they found the records, but my gggrandfather was filed under his second of two middle names as his surname, which is why the initial search failed. In my first request I only provided them a first name, surname, birth year, and that he was from the province of Salerno.

They requested a fee of 6 euro to mail the records to me via registered mail, and I sent them the payment about 3 weeks ago. I haven't received the documents yet, but Italy to Australia is a slow mail route.

If you have reason to believe that he was from Castelforte then you should be looking for the records in the province of Latina.
http://www.arcstatolatina.beniculturali.it/

I've read of people that have just blasted emails to every archivio di stato, and I would beg you not to do that, as it takes the archivists a long time to look up these records and if they get too many wild chases then it will only hurt everyone else looking for their ancestors. (Not that you would do this, it's just more of a note for anyone that would read this post).
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Rav 78 whenyou are ready to send in your request for the military records for your Ggrandfather you may wish to go to www.mangeruca.com for military request form letters in Italian which you can send to the provincial archives offices in the province where he was conscripted. Once you have determined the acual province you may also wish to use the www.mangeruca.com website for an appropriate address.=Peter=
Rav78

Post by Rav78 »

Thanks all, I will give it a shot :-)
Rav78

Post by Rav78 »

Peter - really useful website, thanks...and the template letters are much better than my sorry attempts previously ;-)
warriorrabbit
Veteran
Veteran

Post by warriorrabbit »

If you don't want just the conscription records (registro di leva), but other service records (my cousin's father may have returned to Italy for WWII and died in service), what would you ask for?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Request FOGLIO DI CONGEDO ILLIMITATO. Thse records include all biographical infromation, conscription and discharge information including length of service, transfers,campaigns, medals and wounds. =Peter=
Rav78

Post by Rav78 »

Would anybody please be able to assist me in translating the text below please:

Con riferimento alla richiesta del 28 agosto u.s. si comunica che da una ricerca effettuata sui ruoli matricolari militari è risultato che una persona di nome Gallucci Olindo Antonio è nato a Santi Cosmo e Damiano in provincia di Latina il 20 giugno 1907 da Antonio e Roberto Pasqualina. Oggi l’allora comune di Santi Cosmo e Damiano è frazione del comune di Castelforte. Qualora il nominativo risultante dai Ruoli matricolari militari fosse quello da lei ricercato invieremo il documento sempre per posta elettronica.

E.Mosillo

I recieved this from the Latina Archives and have run it through a dodgy translation service via babelfish and so have got the gist of it - this does not look like my wife's great grandfather as he appears to be to young, it could be another relation though.

Thanks for the help in advance.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Rav78 wrote: Con riferimento alla richiesta del 28 agosto u.s. si comunica che da una ricerca effettuata sui ruoli matricolari militari è risultato che una persona di nome Gallucci Olindo Antonio è nato a Santi Cosmo e Damiano in provincia di Latina il 20 giugno 1907 da Antonio e Roberto Pasqualina. Oggi l’allora comune di Santi Cosmo e Damiano è frazione del comune di Castelforte. Qualora il nominativo risultante dai Ruoli matricolari militari fosse quello da lei ricercato invieremo il documento sempre per posta elettronica.

E.Mosillo
I reply to your request dated August 28th, we state we did a research on the military records, and we found a Gallucci Olindo Antonio born in Santi Cosmo e Damiano, province of Latina, on 20th June 1907, son of Antonio and Roberto Pasqualina. The municipality of Santi Cosmo e Damiano now is an hamlet belonging to municipality of Castelforte. If this is the person you are looking for, we will send the military record via email

I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Rav78 wrote:Hi all,

I am looking for some advice and assistance in contacting the correct achive for the registro di leva of my wife's great grandfather, Olindo Gallucci.

I believe that Olindo was originally from the Campania region of Italy (possibly Castelforte). Olindo emigrated to England in the early 20th Century where all but one of his children was born - his eldest son Victor Renato Gallucci was born 3rd of January 1902 presumably in Italy to Olindo and his wife Cornelia (Cornelia Maio).

Olindo retired in 1927 and moved back to Italy to settle in Formia, where I presume that he also died.

I have tried contacting the achive of Avellino and Napoli, but have not yet had a response - the Napoli record office returned a mailbox full email, so I guess that they do not check that one very often.

I am not even certain that these are the correct archives, but they are the ones that come up when I search for achives for Castelforte and Campania.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Hello,
Since you are sure he moved to Formia, why don't you request to Formia civil record office Olindo Gallucci copy from real death record?
Maybe you can also see if he is still buried in Formia cemetery
Write (only in italian) to

Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Piazza Municipio 1
04023 Formia (LT)
Italy

I hope it helps
bye Riccardo

Ufficio di Stato
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

If you neeed Italian language letter go to www.mangeruca.com as I mentioned too you at an earlier date. =Peter=
Rav78

Post by Rav78 »

Any chance of further translation assistance with this new correspondence please?

Con riferimento alla nota dell’8 settembre si comunica che alla luce delle nuove e più chiare informazioni è stata effettuata una nuova ricerca sui ruoli matricolari militari della classe 1877 ed è risultato il nominativo di Gallucci Olindo fu Filippo e di Forte Giuseppa nato il 12 luglio 1877 a Castelforte. Forse è questa la persona che lei ricercava.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

In reference to your note of September 8 and in light of new and clarifying information, a renewed search was made of 1877 military records of the person who is the result of Gallucci Olindo (of Philip) and Forte, Giuseppa born Juluy 12, 1877 at Castelforte. Perhaps this is the person you are seeking?

=Peter=