Paying for documents

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
rdel4577
Rookie
Rookie

Paying for documents

Postby rdel4577 » 30 Aug 2008, 21:44

What is the best way to send Euros for research or copying?

I see the letters say "Tell me how much and I will send it" but doesn't that double the time required i.e. back and forth twice?

I have corresponded with an organization that has a PayPal account but I would think that is rather rare for churches or the government.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Paying for documents

Postby PeterTimber » 30 Aug 2008, 23:40

Why not call your nearest American Express office that issues travelers cheques and ask them if they can assist you in this matter. =Peter=

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 31 Aug 2008, 07:43

Cashing cheques, or bank drafts in Italy is not easy and the small amounts for documents makes it even more difficult for the town offices as they then have to figure out how to send the change.
I would buy some euros (5's or 10's) and send cash, suggesting that they have a coffee on you with any money left over.
I have sent cash within Italy and even received two cents in coin in return with the certificate.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby elba » 31 Aug 2008, 08:30

Italysearcher wrote:Cashing cheques, or bank drafts in Italy is not easy and the small amounts for documents makes it even more difficult for the town offices as they then have to figure out how to send the change.
I would buy some euros (5's or 10's) and send cash, suggesting that they have a coffee on you with any money left over.
I have sent cash within Italy and even received two cents in coin in return with the certificate.

This is excellent advice. Many Comunes actually state that they do NOT accept cheques of credit card payments and many don't know how to (or will not) deal with International Postal Vouchers.

Usually the sums involved are quite small and so do not create a 'theft' problem. So I would do as suggested here - it's a lot less hassle and a faster 'turn around'!

And making clear that you don't want any 'change' will be appreciated too!
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 31 Aug 2008, 11:24

I too agree in ending cash. Its convenient and need not be more than $5.00-$10 US$. I have never had any money lost. In fact they sometimes return the money entirely. The clerks who do the researching as an end of day duty are poorly paid so a "tip" is in order. The Mormon church people suggest this practice. =Peter=

lilbees
Master
Master

Postby lilbees » 31 Aug 2008, 13:18

I just sent US dollars for some records. I found it was such a hassle to find some bank, etc., to do an Internaltional Bank draft or whatever. I don't know if that will be successful or not. I would not think they would have a problem with that. If I am wrong, let me know. Purchasing Euros may be the more correct way.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 31 Aug 2008, 14:04

I suggest you to let someone call from Italy that civil record office for you, in order to understand if US dollars and IRC are accepted, and if there is any expense to afford.
Some italian civil record office send to US italian civil record for no costs
Regards
Riccardo

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 31 Aug 2008, 14:50

Dear Ricbru even the Mormon chruch recommends that despite the fact that Stato Civile services are free to still send $5.00 (more now since 1 Euro is now $1.50US) and that church donations start at US$15.00 (more now as well). As you know the clerks who research the records are poorly paid and take care of walk ins during the day and only research at the end of the day for written requests. It is another way of saying "Thank You". =Peter=

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 31 Aug 2008, 20:13

Yes , I agree with you, for sure it is a way to say "Thank you".
I was just saying that if you have someone who can call for you to civil record office, you know for sure how much you really need to send to the registrar.
Sometimes sending dollars, these are never changed in the bank because the transaction fees is higher than the 5 dollars you sent
I hope I was clear
Riccardo

lilbees
Master
Master

Postby lilbees » 31 Aug 2008, 21:08

Sorry, I didn't explain. My bill in euros was 6.33, I sent US $15.00 thinking this would cover any exchange cost plus extra for the clerk.

I guess I was wrong.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa

rdel4577
Rookie
Rookie

Postby rdel4577 » 31 Aug 2008, 21:54

Thank you all. This was very informative. I do have some Euros left from a trip to Italy last year and can use them here.

Grazie per vostra aiuto!!

Bob

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”