Interpreting Italian law

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Interpreting Italian law

Postby johnnyonthespot » 02 Sep 2008, 14:39

I know there are several native Italians in this forum as well as others who have lived in Italy long-term; I pose this question to you.

This Italian law, in particular Para. 24 (quoted below), is often cited as evidence that persons holding dual Italian/whatever citizenship must use their Italian passport when entering Italy (or, more broadly, any part of the EU).

While I do not disagree that duals probably must enter the country on their Italian passports, I simply don't see it covered by this law. Opinions, please?

24. Chiunque esce dal territorio dello Stato senza essersi munito di passaporto o di altro documento equipollente ai sensi delle disposizioni in vigore, ovvero con passaporto la cui validità sia stata sospesa ai sensi della presente legge, è punito, se il fatto non costituisce più grave reato, con l'ammenda da lire 30.000 a lire 300.000 (5). La pena è dell'arresto fino a sei mesi o della ammenda da lire 75.000 a lire 900.000 (5) se il passaporto era stato negato o ritirato. La pena è dell'arresto da un mese a un anno e dell'ammenda da lire 150.000 a lire 1.500.000 (5) se il colpevole, al momento del suo espatrio, si trovava nelle condizioni previste dall'articolo 3, lettera c), d), e), ovvero se egli non aveva ancora adempiuto agli obblighi di leva.

wishyou
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Interpreting Italian law

Postby wishyou » 02 Sep 2008, 21:43

It'easy to say: if you entr with an extra-ue passport you must have a visa and by this visa you can stay in territory for a limited time.
If you use italian passport you don't need visa.

This article says that, if you are italian and you want to go abroad, you must own an italian passport or similar. At the moment you leave Italy the italian custom police will ask you the passport (or similar) and, if you haven't any, they don't let you leave Italy.

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”