Sending a Letter to Sicily Family....Help Please

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
User avatar
Mardi
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 191
Joined: 26 Jun 2005, 00:00

Sending a Letter to Sicily Family....Help Please

Postby Mardi » 18 Oct 2008, 11:36

Sending an email to my family is Sicily. Since I do not know Italian, where is a website, where I can translate it from English to Italian, before I send it. Appreciate your help. Thank you.
Mardi

User avatar
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6817
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: Sending a Letter to Sicily Family....Help Please

Postby PeterTimber » 18 Oct 2008, 12:28

If it is short you can use www.freetranslationcom. if it is longer than a couple of sentences someone here may translate for you. =Peter=

User avatar
Mardi
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 191
Joined: 26 Jun 2005, 00:00

Re: Sending a Letter to Sicily Family....Help Please

Postby Mardi » 19 Oct 2008, 10:41

Thank you Peter for the Website. I'll give it a try.

Have a very pleasant day!!!!
Mardi

User avatar
corrado
Elite
Elite
Posts: 359
Joined: 12 Dec 2006, 00:00
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Sending a Letter to Sicily Family....Help Please

Postby corrado » 24 Oct 2008, 03:22

what peter says is very ture, well even for a couple of sentences, the translation is literal, so it's almost meaningless when read... you need to have someone translate. as an example take something from a newpaper on the web and put it into the translator, and you will have a good laugh or cry/

User avatar
Mardi
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 191
Joined: 26 Jun 2005, 00:00

Re: Sending a Letter to Sicily Family....Help Please

Postby Mardi » 10 Feb 2009, 09:17

Just wanted to let all know that with your help in sending letter a to Comune Di Corleone, I did get a reply. Took four months, but what a wonderful site to see the letter come in the mail yesterday.

I could figure out and translate most of the dates of the silblings but need a llittle help, can you translate this for me:

Calamusa Melchiore di Giacomo e di Milano Antonina é nato in Calatafimi, il 12/09/1858 a 24 anni si sposa con Lo Bello Maria Caterina di Giuseppe e di Puccio Benedetta, nata in Corleone il 12/12/1840

Thank you ever so much for everyone's help.

Mardi

User avatar
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master
Posts: 5229
Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Sending a Letter to Sicily Family....Help Please

Postby johnnyonthespot » 10 Feb 2009, 10:22

Mardi wrote:Just wanted to let all know that with your help in sending letter a to Comune Di Corleone, I did get a reply. Took four months, but what a wonderful site to see the letter come in the mail yesterday.

I could figure out and translate most of the dates of the silblings but need a llittle help, can you translate this for me:

Calamusa Melchiore di Giacomo e di Milano Antonina é nato in Calatafimi, il 12/09/1858 a 24 anni si sposa con Lo Bello Maria Caterina di Giuseppe e di Puccio Benedetta, nata in Corleone il 12/12/1840

Thank you ever so much for everyone's help.

Mardi


My take:

Melchiore Calamusa, son of of Giacomo Calamusa and Antonina di Milano, was born in Calatafimi on Sep 12, 1858. At age 24, he married Maria Caterina Lo Bello, born in Corleone on Dec 12, 1840, daughter of Giuseppe Lo Bello and Benedetta di Puccio.

Of course, I could be wrong. :)

User avatar
liviomoreno
Master
Master
Posts: 5428
Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Re: Sending a Letter to Sicily Family....Help Please

Postby liviomoreno » 10 Feb 2009, 10:48

johnnyonthespot wrote:
Melchiore Calamusa, son of of Giacomo Calamusa and Antonina di Milano, was born in Calatafimi on Sep 12, 1858. At age 24, he married Maria Caterina Lo Bello, born in Corleone on Dec 12, 1840, daughter of Giuseppe Lo Bello and Benedetta di Puccio.



:P Good translation, only one small remark: Melchiere's mother is Antonina Milano, Milano is the surname.

User avatar
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master
Posts: 5229
Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Sending a Letter to Sicily Family....Help Please

Postby johnnyonthespot » 10 Feb 2009, 11:09

liviomoreno wrote:
johnnyonthespot wrote:
Melchiore Calamusa, son of of Giacomo Calamusa and Antonina di Milano, was born in Calatafimi on Sep 12, 1858. At age 24, he married Maria Caterina Lo Bello, born in Corleone on Dec 12, 1840, daughter of Giuseppe Lo Bello and Benedetta di Puccio.



:P Good translation, only one small remark: Melchiere's mother is Antonina Milano, Milano is the surname.


Livio, do you find it odd that Giacomo, aged 24, married a woman 18 years older than himself? I wondered if I was translating incorrectly or perhaps the original text is simply wrong.

User avatar
Mardi
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 191
Joined: 26 Jun 2005, 00:00

Re: Sending a Letter to Sicily Family....Help Please

Postby Mardi » 10 Feb 2009, 11:21

That's what I was wondering too. The date on the Document was 12/09/1858. On my Family Tree I have born abt. 1835. Is there any way I can check out this date.

Thanks for your help.
Mardi

User avatar
liviomoreno
Master
Master
Posts: 5428
Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Re: Sending a Letter to Sicily Family....Help Please

Postby liviomoreno » 10 Feb 2009, 14:28

johnnyonthespot wrote:
Livio, do you find it odd that Giacomo, aged 24, married a woman 18 years older than himself? I wondered if I was translating incorrectly or perhaps the original text is simply wrong.


Indeed it is very odd and could be an error during the transcription, I suggest that Mardi finds the marriage record between Melchiorre Calamusa and Maria Caterina Lo Bello. This record could be in Corleone where Maria Caterina was born. And also the birth record of Maria Caterina should have an annotation about her marriage...

User avatar
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6817
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: Sending a Letter to Sicily Family....Help Please

Postby PeterTimber » 10 Feb 2009, 17:44

Of course it is not the first time that a young man marries an older woman for a variety of carnal and material reasons but as Livio suggested its best to check it out and make sure that a date error did not take place.. =Peter=
~Peter~

User avatar
Mardi
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 191
Joined: 26 Jun 2005, 00:00

Re: Sending a Letter to Sicily Family....Help Please

Postby Mardi » 10 Feb 2009, 19:42

Good Afternoon all, have a question: on the Document that was sent from Comune Di Corleone, there is ia web site at the bottom of the page. Do you think if I sent them a email asking them to recheck the birth date of Melchiore? Or is there any microfilm that I can view for a corrected date.

But I have a feeling that the date is in error, because I had on the FTM that he was born abt 1837.

Mardi

User avatar
GERBINOCASSARA
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 29 Aug 2010, 14:55

Re: Sending a Letter to Sicily Family....Help Please

Postby GERBINOCASSARA » 29 Aug 2010, 22:54

Calatafimi Segesta 30 agosto 2010

The grandfather of Melchiorre CALAMUSA was :

CALAMUSA LIBORIO son of ROSARIO and VULTAGGIO SEBASTIANA
he married on 1761 in Calatafimi
FAZIO BARTOLOMEA daughter of GIACOMO and QUINCI NICOLINA

The father of Melchiorre CALAMUSA was :

CALAMUSA GIACOMO son of LIBORIO and FAZIO BARTOLOMEA
he married on 1815 in Calatafimi
MILANA (your grandmother’s name was MILANA) ANTONINA daughter of MELCHIORRE and ARENA VITA
marriage contract 1st MAGGIO 1815 c/o notary D Salvatore POLLANI di Calatafimi

FERLITO FRANCESCO son of LEONARDO and TARTAMELLA FRANCESCA
he married on 1841 in Calatafimi
CALAMUSA BARTOLOMEA daughter of GIACOMO and MILANA ANTONINA


FERLITO GIACOMO son of FRANCESCO and CALAMUSA BARTOLOMEA
he married on 1873 in Calatafimi
CALAMUSA SEBASTIANA daughter of NICOLO’ and SPARACINO CATERINA

FERLITO LEONARDO son of FRANCESCO and CALAMUSA BARTOLOMEA
he married on 1882 in Calatafimi
CANGEMI ROSARIA daughter of FRANCESCO and SANCLIMENTI DOMENICA

CALAMUSA FRANCESCO son of ANTONINO and SIMONE LEONARDA
he married on 1906 in Calatafimi
FERLITO FRANCESCA daughter of FRANCESCO and CALAMUSA BARTOLOMEA

I am interested to have some info of the family immigrated to USA.
Please contact me by e-mail at g.gerbino@alice.it
Thanks
Giovanni Gerbino Cassarà

g.gerbino@alice.it

User avatar
Mardi
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 191
Joined: 26 Jun 2005, 00:00

Re: Sending a Letter to Sicily Family....Help Please

Postby Mardi » 22 Sep 2014, 23:23

GERBINOCASSARA wrote:Calatafimi Segesta 30 agosto 2010

The grandfather of Melchiorre CALAMUSA was :

CALAMUSA LIBORIO son of ROSARIO and VULTAGGIO SEBASTIANA
he married on 1761 in Calatafimi
FAZIO BARTOLOMEA daughter of GIACOMO and QUINCI NICOLINA

The father of Melchiorre CALAMUSA was :

CALAMUSA GIACOMO son of LIBORIO and FAZIO BARTOLOMEA
he married on 1815 in Calatafimi
MILANA (your grandmother’s name was MILANA) ANTONINA daughter of MELCHIORRE and ARENA VITA
marriage contract 1st MAGGIO 1815 c/o notary D Salvatore POLLANI di Calatafimi

FERLITO FRANCESCO son of LEONARDO and TARTAMELLA FRANCESCA
he married on 1841 in Calatafimi
CALAMUSA BARTOLOMEA daughter of GIACOMO and MILANA ANTONINA


FERLITO GIACOMO son of FRANCESCO and CALAMUSA BARTOLOMEA
he married on 1873 in Calatafimi
CALAMUSA SEBASTIANA daughter of NICOLO’ and SPARACINO CATERINA

FERLITO LEONARDO son of FRANCESCO and CALAMUSA BARTOLOMEA
he married on 1882 in Calatafimi
CANGEMI ROSARIA daughter of FRANCESCO and SANCLIMENTI DOMENICA

CALAMUSA FRANCESCO son of ANTONINO and SIMONE LEONARDA
he married on 1906 in Calatafimi
FERLITO FRANCESCA daughter of FRANCESCO and CALAMUSA BARTOLOMEA

I am interested to have some info of the family immigrated to USA.
Please contact me by e-mail at g.gerbino@alice.it
Thanks
Giovanni Gerbino Cassarà

g.gerbino@alice.it




Back in August 30, 2010 I received this information on my Family Genealogy from Giovanni Gerbino Cassara.....it was the best information from Italy. Seems as thought he was also doing his Family Tree and had quite a bit information on mine. When I replied back, I received an email from his son stating that his father has passed away shortly after he sent this information to me.

My question to all that have helped me in the past.....Where can I start. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Mardi


Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 6 guests