could anyone translate this letter

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
jolynn
Elite
Elite

could anyone translate this letter

Post by jolynn »

caro signor baxter, ci scusi per non aver scritto prima, ma vorrei sapesse che e' stato comunque un piacere aver ricevuto la sua lettera e sarebbe un grande piacere poteria aiupare. ci stiamo adoperando a cercare negli apenivi nel comune di rocca d'evandro (prese "natale " delle origini dei conte). quello che posso dirle per ora e' che quei nomi che lei ei a posto, per adesso non ei danno alcuna informazione. posso aggiungere che nel prese di rocca d'evandro non ei sono piu conte apparte noi. io sono la figlia dieiaseuenne di conte elio, codesto figlio di conte filippo. come ho gia'deuto cerenererco anche noi di scoprire se e' un ramo di parentela dalce persove citate nella sua lettera oneglio se c'e' parentela tra noi e voi. purtroppo non disponiarco di internet e non mi e'staato possible risponderle attravero e-mail. non ce negliano il piacere che proveremmo sapendo di avere un parente dalle origini conte ornai scomparse. non neghiano neanche il piacere di poteria conoscere quando verra' in italia a maggio. spero che allora o nella prossima lettera possa essere ingrado di darle informazioni piu precise. if some one could let me know what this letter say,s or the important parts of it i would be very grateful, thankyou, kind regards, john
bonval
Rookie
Rookie

Re: could anyone translate this letter

Post by bonval »

I use a translator software so this is very rough - maybe somone can help you clean it up a bit more but it gives the general translation for you:

"dear Mr. baxter, excuses us not to have written before, but I would like he/she knew that and' is a pleasure to have received its letter however and it would be a great pleasure poteria aiupare. ( assist ?) we are using there to look for in the apenivis in the commune of fortress of evandro (taken "native " of the origins of the count). what I can tell for now her and' that that uoreis that her ei to place, for now not ei damage some information. I can add that in the takings of fortress of evandro not eis are more count apparte us. I am his/her daughter dieiaseuenne of count elio, this child of count filippo. as I also have gia'deuto cerenererco us to discover if and' a branch of relative dalce persove quoted in his/her letter oneglio if there and' relative between you and we. unfortunately not disponiarco ( familiar with or used to) of internet and not me e'staato possible to answer her attravero e-mail. not us negliano the pleasure that we would try knowing to have a relative from the origins count I adorned disappearances. not neghiano not even the pleasure of poteria to know when it will come' in italia in May. I hope that then or in the next letter can be ingrado to give her more precise information."
Hope this helps a little bit - anyway that is the issue with software translators so you understand need to be somewhat familiar with the language or have a fluent friend!
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

hello bonval, yes i am having the same problem, the letter is quite difficult to read and to re-write down. getting the correct meaning is so important. thankyou for your effort, i appriciate it. if there is anyone who is fluent can you please help. once again bonval thankyou for your help, regards, john
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

jolynn wrote:caro signor baxter, ci scusi per non aver scritto prima, ma vorrei sapesse che e' stato comunque un piacere aver ricevuto la sua lettera e sarebbe un grande piacere poteria aiupare. ci stiamo adoperando a cercare negli apenivi nel comune di rocca d'evandro (prese "natale " delle origini dei conte). quello che posso dirle per ora e' che quei uorei che lei ei a posto, per adesso non ei danno alcuna informazione. posso aggiungere che nel prese di rocca d'evandro non ei sono piu conte apparte noi. io sono la figlia dieiaseuenne di conte elio, codesto figlio di conte filippo. come ho gia'deuto cerenererco anche noi di scoprire se e' un ramo di parentela dalce persove citate nella sua lettera oneglio se c'e' parentela tra noi e voi. purtroppo non disponiarco di internet e non mi e'staato possible risponderle attravero e-mail. non ce negliano il piacere che proveremmo sapendo di avere un parente dalle origini conte ornai scomparse. non neghiano neanche il piacere di poteria conoscere quando verra' in italia a maggio. spero che allora o nella prossima lettera possa essere ingrado di darle informazioni piu precise. if some one could let me know what this letter say,s or the important parts of it i would be very grateful, thankyou, kind regards, john
My apologies John - there are some words which are not words i'm afraid. Not sure whether you had difficulty reading a (maybe) handwritten letter, or whether the author didn't spell too well.
So I have made the best I could for you. Others may want to look at it for you too...
elba

PS You could try scanning the original and posting that for us to see. It oftenmakes things easier if we can see the original... (just a thought)!

Translation:

Dear Mr. Baxter, forgive me for not writing before, but I would like you to know that it was a pleasure to receive your letter and it will be a great pleasure to help you. We are working to search in the xxxxxx (apenivi is not a word) of the Comune of Rocca D'Evendro (taking it as the birthplace of the counts). That which I can tell you for now is that those xxxx (uorei?) that you xx (ei?) in place, for now do not give any information. I can add that in the town (?) of Rocca D'Evandro there are no counts apart from us. I am the seventeen year old daughter of Count Elio, who is the son of Count Filippo. As I have said generally (?) we too discover if a branch of the family shows people named in your letter and if there is a relationship between you and us.
Unfortunately we do not have the internet and it has not been possible for me to answer you via e-mail. It does not remove the pleasure that we have knowing we have a relation of the original but now lost counts. We cannot deny either the pleasure in knowing that you will come to Italy in May. I hope that then, or in your next letter I will be able to give you more precise information....

If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Dear Jolynn, I suggest that you post an image of the letter you received... you willhave a better chance to get back a significant translation...
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

hello all thankyou for your help. i do not have a scanner, i have gone over the words again and think the ones which are difficult to read are spelt ----- apenivi? - could be arcmiui or arcmivi. uorei? - could be nomi. ei? could be ci ha posto, i will try and use a scanner in my library and that may also help. thankyou all again, kindest of regards, john
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

My 2 cents.
jolynn wrote:Caro signor Baxter, ci scusi per non aver scritto prima, ma vorrei sapesse che e' stato comunque un piacere aver ricevuto la sua lettera e sarebbe un grande piacere poterla aiutare. Ci stiamo adoperando a cercare negli archivi del Comune di Rocca d'Evandro (paese "natale " delle origini dei Conte). Quello che posso dirle per ora e' che quei nomi che lei ci ha posto(!), per adesso non ci danno alcuna informazione. Posso aggiungere che nel paese di Rocca d'Evandro non ci sono piu Conte a parte noi. Io sono la figlia diciasettenne di Conte Elio, codesto figlio di Conte Filippo. Come ho già detto cercheremo anche noi di scoprire se c'è un ramo (grado?) di parentela delle persone citate nella sua lettera o meglio se c'è parentela tra noi e voi. Purtroppo non disponiamo di internet e non mi e'stato possibile risponderle attravero e-mail. Non le neghiamo il piacere che proveremmo sapendo di avere un parente dalle origini Conte ormai scomparse. Non neghiamo neanche il piacere di poterla conoscere quando verra' in Italia a maggio. Spero che allora o nella prossima lettera (io) possa essere in grado di darle informazioni piu precise.
Luca
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

hello luca, thankyou for your help. can you or someone translate your version into english. thanks again, regards, john
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

elba wrote:
Translation:

Dear Mr. Baxter, forgive us for not writing before, but I would like you to know that it was a pleasure to receive your letter and it will be a great pleasure to help you. We are working to search in the Archives of the Comune of Rocca D'Evendro (taking it as the birthplace of the Conti). That which I can tell you for now is that those names you wrote(!) (in the mail), for now do not give any information. I can add that in the town (Village) of Rocca D'Evandro there are no Conti apart from us. I am the seventeen year old daughter of Elio Conti, who is the son of Filippo Conti. As I have already said we'll try to discover if a branch of the family shows people named in your letter and if there is a relationship between you and us.
Unfortunately we do not have the internet and it has not been possible for me to answer you via e-mail. It does not remove the pleasure that we have knowing we have a relation of the original but now lost Conti. We cannot deny either the pleasure in knowing you when you will come to Italy in May. I hope that then, or in our next letter I will be able to give you more precise information....

Luca
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

hello lucap, thankyou for that. it is appriciated, kind regards, john p.s. i have sent you a p.m.