Birth Record Index Question

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
10 posts • Page 1 of 1

Birth Record Index Question

Postby borderline » 13 Feb 2009, 20:44

Virtually all of my relatives come from Milazzo. The birth records there in the late 1800s have all the births listed in chronological order, then there is an index at the end of each year. The index is organized by first letter of the last name, then by the birth date. So they are not strictly alphabetical. I guess they start at Jan 1 and then record all the last names that start with A in order. They list the last name, first name, and then father's name, then the Index # of the birth record. Usually there are about 400-500 per year.

This really helps find the relevant surnames.

However, for some of the births, there is not a birth record number but some text written down. I have no idea what this is. I will try to transliterate it next time, but in general, what could this annotation be? I have tried to find a birth record for this person in that year but I was unable to find it through scrolling through every listing.

Any ideas? Could these possibly be babies that didn't survive?
borderline
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Birth Record Index Question

Postby nazca » 14 Feb 2009, 14:59

hi and welcome to the forum.
It is possidble for you attach a certificate image in this forum ? I can try to read that lines...

best regards
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).
nazca
Elite
Elite

Postby borderline » 18 Feb 2009, 05:23

OK, sorry that was so vague. Here is the deal. I went back and found that the letters were "SP" followed by a number and then realized at the end of each year was a Supplement. So the Supplement has handwritten (instead of a form) information, and I found three different categories, one of which I found out the meaning, and need help with the other two. I have photos which I can upload later if this is still cryptic:

1) "Nata Estero" This means foreign born. Presumably the parents were native to Italy but the kid was born while they were traveling abroad?

2) "Bettifica" Not sure if the spelling is correct, but would this be the designation for a baby (Beatified? or something religious like that) who died shortly after birth? Or is it something else?

3) "Reiconoseimento" I have no idea, and I'm guessing on the transliteration.

Many thanks!

-Jeff
borderline
Rookie
Rookie

Postby suanj » 18 Feb 2009, 07:46

1) "Nata Estero" This means foreign born. Presumably the parents were native to Italy but the kid was born while they were traveling abroad?

Nata Estero: born in foreign country, but the birth was registered in italian common also

2) "Bettifica" Not sure if the spelling is correct, but would this be the designation for a baby (Beatified? or something religious like that) who died shortly after birth? Or is it something else?
Rettifica: some data abt the birth was wrong and the Rettifica is the legal correction on birthact

Riconoscimento: a birth of a child, registered as foundling of unknown parents, but after recognized by natural parent/s with right surname...
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby borderline » 18 Feb 2009, 09:12

suanj wrote:Riconoscimento: a birth of a child, registered as foundling of unknown parents, but after recognized by natural parent/s with right surname...
suanj

Thanks so much. So in the last one here, is the child basically adopted by parents who are registering the child as if it were one of their own? So the parents in the record would not be the birth parents. Correct?
borderline
Rookie
Rookie

Postby suanj » 18 Feb 2009, 11:36

- if a foundling child had the "riconoscimento" some time after the birth, the parents that recognizing it as own child, well they are the biological parents... but better that you show us the birthact....
-instead if he was adopted he have not the riconoscimento, but the legal adoption..
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby borderline » 18 Feb 2009, 15:58

Maybe I am misunderstanding the "foundling" status. This is not an adoption situation. A foundling is a child who was abandoned, or whose parents are unknown. So how can the real parents then register the child?

Did the parents abandon the child and then change their mind?
borderline
Rookie
Rookie

Postby suanj » 18 Feb 2009, 16:28

if they was unmarried and after they married, the spouses recognizing the child... or also without marriage, if one of parents having pain in the heart for this child, they can change the mind....

just 3 days ago I found a marriage act, where the spouses in same marriage act recognizing 2 sons, registered as foundlings( born in 2 different town, but very near) and with a "fantasy" surname, and that from parent's marriage date are recognized completely and having father surname....
instead 2 months ago a member of this forum asked to me a help abt a birthact..
he knew all of him ancestor, but the italian civil records officer, replied that the birthact was not...
so by a my friend living in the place, he made a handly search... and nothing also came up...
but after my insistence, he read all birthact of same month, same year, same town; well the child was registered under other surname ( invented by officer=fantasy surname) as foundling of unknown parents, but in the left bottom, in handwriting was wrote: the....(child name) was recognized by natural father ... ( father name) in the date of.... etc.. ( all documents) the child in recognizing time was of 21 old!
sometime I found other case:a birthact that cannot be found... nothing....
but the person was a real person and also emigrated, so he need of a passport... so the birthact had to be from some part!!! but the civil records officer replied negative... well after hard search, the child was registered when he was 18 old, by court sentence... the parents no registered the birth of child, and because the law saying that after a right time, the birth can be registered in the birthregistries only by court sentence, they let pass the time... until the child needing of passport for to go in foreign country... so the birth had a tardive registration in birthregistry, but the birthdate was right....
It are so much different cases.... but no rare that a abandoned child is recognized by parents as own child ..some time after the birth.....
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby borderline » 18 Feb 2009, 16:31

Now I understand, thank you for clearing that up. I appreciate your help.
borderline
Rookie
Rookie

Postby borderline » 20 Feb 2009, 04:11

I went back to try to find more info on these "supplementary" birth records. Some answers and some more questions:

suanj wrote:1) "Nata Estero" This means foreign born. Presumably the parents were native to Italy but the kid was born while they were traveling abroad?

Nata Estero: born in foreign country, but the birth was registered in italian common also

On this record, it showed that the baby was born in Cairo, Egypt about two years before the birth record. So born in 1887, and registered in 1889. Perhaps someone could speculate on why Sicilians were in Cairo at that time? Was anything going on with the military?

Rettifica: some data abt the birth was wrong and the Rettifica is the legal correction on birthact

On the corrections, most of them referred specifically to other records, but most of the other records were 15-25 years earlier. Any ideas here?

Riconoscimento: a birth of a child, registered as foundling of unknown parents, but after recognized by natural parent/s with right surname...
suanj

So this baby is the third of four that I have recorded by this couple. The other three have normal listings, and the third one is Riconoscimento. Very strange, any ideas? It would seem to be more likely that it was the first one that would have this designation.

thanks again, this is fun.
borderline
Rookie
Rookie

10 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations