Birth certificates of possible illegitimate children?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
12 posts • Page 1 of 1

Birth certificates of possible illegitimate children?

Postby ChrisMosca » 10 Mar 2009, 19:55

I'm a little confused because while searching for the kids of one brother I also found kids from Emidio Mosca from 1890's but he did not get married until 1907 and where it usually shows the name of the mother it doesn't seem like it does and it looks like something saying he is not married or something like that, thanks everybody!!!1
with Flavia if someone could decipher the handwritten stuff on the left side that would be great, thanks again.
Flavia Mosca
could some one tell me the name of the street they live on?

Guglielmo MoscaImage
Looking for the surnames Mosca( Marches ), Pizzoglio (Piedmonte), Chiacchiera, Lobasso(Bari), Gallo(Malvito), Azzolina (Messina).
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Re: Birth certificates of possible illegitimate children?

Postby eyetalgal » 10 Mar 2009, 23:46

Chris,

It seems there's married and then there's married. That is to say if the couple were married in the church and not civilly then they were listed on the birth registration as 'non maritata'. I found some couples married in the church records and then married civilly several years later. The children were subsequently legitimized.

My grandparents were married in 1897 in Santa Cristina church in Bolsena but not civilly. When they came to the U.S. (him in 1907 and her in 1912) they had to re-marry civilly to let her stay.

So your couple could have been married religiously but perhaps not civilly at the time. You may need to look for additional records at the parish level.
eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ChrisMosca » 11 Mar 2009, 00:59

thank you Eyetalgal for that!!! but the name of the mother is not present here? if not why? or I just can't see it.
Looking for the surnames Mosca( Marches ), Pizzoglio (Piedmonte), Chiacchiera, Lobasso(Bari), Gallo(Malvito), Azzolina (Messina).
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Postby Bette » 11 Mar 2009, 02:12

Chris,
I agree with you...the mother's name is not present in either record. She is referred to as the "donna" (woman). I have seen this phrase in many records. I believe it means that the child was born of a union with an unmarried woman who was not a relative. The note on the left margin in Flavia's birth record, looks like a notation that was made later on when Flavia got married. Although the writing is difficult to decifer, I do see the word "matrimonio" and it is fairly common to see this type of note in the margin. Now, if you could find her marriage record, it might give the name of her mother. ??? :wink:
Bette
Bette
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ChrisMosca » 11 Mar 2009, 02:20

I know who Emidio married later in 1907 Maria Domeniccuci I was just wondering if these kids were with a different woman or the same, the thing is the rest of the family never knew of these kids, they only knew of the two kids he had later when he was married. the date on the left of flavia looks kind of like 13 something 1909?
thanks again everybody.
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Postby ChrisMosca » 11 Mar 2009, 02:25

Does the first two lines on the left say something qual figlia legittima di Mosca
Luigi? which would be Emidio's Brother or maybe some other L name, I'm confused
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Postby ChrisMosca » 11 Mar 2009, 02:28

wait a minute I think I see it now.... it says figlia legittima di Mosca Emidio and Domeniccuci Maria and say they got married on 23 dec 1907 which is the date I knew of, ok it makes sence now..... thanks everybody for the help!!!!!
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Postby ChrisMosca » 11 Mar 2009, 02:29

sorry for the ramdom blable
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Postby Lucap » 11 Mar 2009, 09:28

ChrisMosca wrote:.... it says figlia legittima di Mosca Emidio and Domeniccuci Maria and say they got married on 23 dec 1907 ....

:wink:
exactly: è stata qual figlia legittimata da Mosca Emidio e Domeniccuci Maria per matrimonio celebrato adì 23 decembre 1907

L.
Lucap
Master
Master

Postby ChrisMosca » 11 Mar 2009, 18:38

Thanks Lucap!!! I'm starting to get a little better at this.
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Postby Lucap » 11 Mar 2009, 22:58

Lucap wrote:exactly: è stata qual figlia legittimata da Mosca Emidio e Domeniccuci Maria per matrimonio celebrato adì 23 decembre 1907

Tha surname is not clear, but at 95% it must be Domenicucci and not Domeniccuci.

L.
Lucap
Master
Master

Postby ChrisMosca » 11 Mar 2009, 23:05

thank you!!!! I think you are right.
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

12 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations