17th Century Italian translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

17th Century Italian translation

Postby paperhistory » 14 Mar 2009, 02:06

Hi everyone,

I collect postcards, letters and other documents. I just discovered this site and have enjoyed reading through some of the posts which concern old letters and their translations.

I know this is a big ask, but would somebody be willing to help me translate / part translate these 2 letters (one is double sided) which have been sitting in my collection for a few years... I would really love to know the general content, as I hope it might reveal the identity of the writer of the double sided letter. I know the identity of the single sided more official looking letter, as it is complete with a seal and signature (Card of Sans Susanna in 1696, MarcoAntonio Barbarigo). What I am hoping is that the double sided letter (which was found inside the MarcoAntonio letter) could possibly be linked to a family member of Marco's, who also happened to be active in the church around that time.

All I have obtained from my own translations is that it seems to refer to a Bell, possibly a church bell. Both letters mention a bell and seem to be connected, so maybe somebody can do me a big favour and advise.

Many thanks for the great site and regards

P.s I am posting the letters direct on this page, if anyone would like to help, but thinks it might be a bit too much work, then I don't mind paying a reasonable fee...

The last letter is the known author. Many thanks.
paperhistory

Re: 17th Century Italian translation

Postby Lucap » 14 Mar 2009, 19:26

Could you post a better scan of the documents? I could try... but with this pics is almost impossible.

Luca
Lucap
Master
Master

Postby Lucap » 14 Mar 2009, 19:36

The third is slightly clearer:

Illustrissimi signori. ho inteso con sommo piacere la prontezza(!) con cui codesto pubblico ha abbracciato le occasioni del fonditore ... ... ... per far dal medesimo fondere la campana di codesta chiesa, e a tal effetto fare il il consiglio per far concorrere alla spesa la Comunità di che mi chiamo molto contento e mi offro per tutte le occasioni di giovarle. Quanto al grano per la etc. etc....

but i'll wait for a new scan!
Lucap
Master
Master

Postby paperhistory » 14 Mar 2009, 20:15

Hi Luca,

Many thanks for your efforts, they're much appreciated!!

I have swapped the images for higher resolution examples, which hopefully may help a little.

Just running your post through a free Italian to English online translator, actually results in something which makes a lot of sense, so hopefully the content may be revealed in depth soon.

Again many thanks and best regards
Scott
paperhistory

Postby Lucap » 14 Mar 2009, 23:27

The single side letter concerns two different subjects: the bell and a question about grain (the second part is not clear in its meaning!); i hope someone will translate for you.

Illustrissimi signori. Ho inteso con sommo piacere la prontezza con cui codesto pubblico ha abbracciato le occasioni del fonditore Giovanni Andrea Berardi per far dal medesimo fondere le campane di codesta Chiesa, e a tal effetto fa sì il consiglio per far concorrere alla spesa la Comunità, di che mi chiamo molto contento e mi offro per tutte le occasioni di giovarle.
Quanto al grano per la decima dell’anno passato, e presente, del quale mi hanno fatto pervenire la mostra [forse un riepilogo dei conti?] ogni volta che si contentino dargli un giro sarà di qualità tale che potrà essere ricevuto come scrivo a [= da?] Sebastiano Cozza che me ne contento, e lo debba in tal forma ricevere. Che è quanto mi occorre in risposta della loro [lettera] e col solito mio affetto prego Dio a felicitarla sempre.
Monte Francese(!!!) 21 Agosto 1696
Al piacere delle signorie vostre
Il cardinale [di] Santa Susanna

Luca
Lucap
Master
Master

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations