Deciphering a name

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
9 posts • Page 1 of 1

Deciphering a name

Postby mleclere » 15 Mar 2009, 00:16

I need a bit of help understanding a Christian (first) name on a death certificate. I have attached a cropped image from the larger image. The name looks to be either 'Cabba Barretto' or 'Caffa Barretto'. 'Barretto' is an anglicized version of 'Barretta' or 'Baretta'. Anyone have any idea on the first name? Might it be an abbreviated name? Thanks
mleclere

Re: Help with a first name

Postby PeterTimber » 15 Mar 2009, 00:24

Cabba is the 407,066th ranking for a first . Cabazos is behind by 407,065 and Cabella is ahead by 407,066th ranking in the USA. =Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Deciphering a name

Postby liviomoreno » 15 Mar 2009, 07:46

Cabba doesn't sound as an Italian first name nor a surname.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby elba » 15 Mar 2009, 08:52

There's clearly a 'full stop' after the Cabba (?) which would indicate that it probably is abbreviated.. but I couldn't find anything that might fit the bill...
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby pink67 » 15 Mar 2009, 08:57

Hi,

I'm absolutely not an expert here, but I noticed that Caffa in the 13th century was a Genoese Colony:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feodosiya

Maybe someone gave this first name in very old times remembering something from there?
Just my idea...

Laura
pink67
Master
Master

Postby elba » 15 Mar 2009, 10:11

Yes that might be Caffa, but looking again I'm not at all sure that the last letter is an 'a'... look at the other 'a's' - they are more open...

Could it be an 'n' I wonder? You would need to compare it with other 'n's' on the document to see if it might be... With so little to see we cannot do that.
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby pink67 » 15 Mar 2009, 10:24

Ciao Elba :D

Look the "a" of Barretta....
For me, it's the same of Caffa
Laura :roll:
pink67
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 15 Mar 2009, 15:12

CABBA is a first name as I indicated above. This is located in the first item in Google.com. If someone wants to they can research the origins of the first name Cabba which seems to be of Spanish Origin but this is more anecdotal on my part than substantiated.

In additon to being a first name in the USA or Canada it is also a surname distirbuted thruout the world, www.familysearch.org under ancestor search. =Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 15 Mar 2009, 15:57

PeterTimber wrote:CABBA is a first name as I indicated above. This is located in the first item in Google.com. If someone wants to they can research the origins of the first name Cabba which seems to be of Spanish Origin but this is more anecdotal on my part than substantiated.

In additon to being a first name in the USA or Canada it is also a surname distirbuted thruout the world, www.familysearch.org under ancestor search. =Peter=

Could you please indicate the URL reporting CABBA as a frirst name? I believe that the first item in google may change according to the country from which you do the search and also to the language selected.
The first result that I get is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP_xnszDCc4...
liviomoreno
Master
Master

9 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations