DEPORTATION ship manifest- need understanding of words

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

DEPORTATION ship manifest- need understanding of words

Postby pcarino » 28 Mar 2009, 04:43

I am seeking help in understanding some words on a ship manifest for my father GABRIELE CARINO, especially since he was DEPORTED.

At age 13 Gabriele sailed on the SANNIO from Naples, Italy arriving in New York on 12 Jul 1906 (see ship manifest, list 47, line 24). The next day he was sent back to Italy on the Sannio (see Record of Aliens held for Special Inquiry, index no 79). It's a mystery to me why he was deported, since he was traveling with his cousin Giuseppe Santoro and his wife Rosa.

Perhaps the understanding of the following words in the ship manifest will help. One was in the column "Calling or Occupation," another in the column "By whom was passage paid?" Also some letters written on the right side regarding a guardian were difficult to read.

Thanks, pcarino
pcarino

Re: DEPORTATION ship manifest- need understanding of words

Postby liviomoreno » 28 Mar 2009, 07:09

My 2 cents:

"Calling or Occupation" = Taylor
"By whom was passage paid" = by him
Guardian N° 25 (N.Y. City)
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby eyetalgal » 28 Mar 2009, 07:30

According to the list of detainees for that ship - Gabriele Carino is listed as LPC - likely public charge.

check the ships lists for Sannio 7/12/1906 - Series T715 - Roll 740 - Frame 250
eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Postby pcarino » 30 Mar 2009, 02:57

Thanks liviomoreno and eyetalgal for your responses to my request for help dealing with words in my father Gabriele Carino’s ship manifest when he was deported.

Learning the meaning of the term LPC (likely public charge) helps explain the reason for his deportation. It led me to some good websites that described the special inquiry procedures at Ellis Island. Unfortunately, because there was no appeal there is little likelihood that the record of the inquiry was saved.

What is puzzling is that I could find no record of Giuseppe Santoro or his father Michele in any US censuses. It begs the question of who was supposed to support Gabriele while in America and why they failed to appear.

It looks like more detective work is needed.

pcarino
pcarino

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations