Translation of Italian Birth

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Translation of Italian Birth

Postby LCerbone » 14 Apr 2009, 00:06

Hello,

I have been trying to translate Italian from birth records from the 1800s. Can someone help me decipher this?

Many thanks,
Lisa

Here it is:

L'anno millenovecento ventinove addi nique di Gabbnail a ore ante meridiane dices minuti nella Casa Comumale.

Avanti di mi Avv. Attilio de Rosa Vice Podesta EB.

Uffiziale dello Stato Civile del Comune di Afragola e cumpars Cerbone Pasquale, di anni terenta sette currettiere, domicilato in Afragola i quale mi ha dichiarto che alle ore po meridiane dieci e minuti del di tre del mese corrente, nella casa posta in L. Vico Plebiseito, al numero sizza da Gratta Fortimata Mamoglie diassisi tentaone, caselinga, su hu convivente e nato un bambino di sesso musschile che egli mi presenta e a cui de us nome di Nicola.

A quanto sopa e a quest atto sono stati presenti quali testimoni Guarino Antonio di anni tueentaesique possidente Parmone Antonio, di anni quarantuno braceiante entrambi residenti in questo Commune. Letto if presente alto agli interveniti si eda mesotta scritto uscendo gli altri analfabeti.
LCerbone

Re: Translation of Italian Birth

Postby jwazevedo » 14 Apr 2009, 04:38

Hi Lisa,

Your transcription of some of the words is not Italian. The handwritten script is difficult to interpret, I know. To get a translation, the best way is to post the original image on a picture hosting site, such as ImageShack, and then put the link to that image in your message. That way, members with more experience with deciphering script can read it directly and make the translation.

Hope this helps.
Jerry
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby LCerbone » 14 Apr 2009, 12:46

Okay, that's great information. I'll try to do that. Thanks!

Lisa
LCerbone

Postby qnana » 14 Apr 2009, 13:14

Another option is to go to the library and take out "Discovering Your Italian Heritage" by Lynn Nelson. She has examples of actual birth and marriage certificates, along with translations. You would be able to get the meaning of the overall document and just need to figure out the name of the people, age and occupation as they pertain to your ancestors. The same format is used even in handwritten versions.

Good luck
qnana
qnana
Rookie
Rookie

Postby jwazevedo » 14 Apr 2009, 15:38

qnana is right about the do-it-yourself approach. Another book that has examples of one-to-one translations is Trafford Cole's "Italian Genealogical Records". If you're going to want to read more than one of these records, one of these resources will be a big help. There will still be some handwritten words and sentences to decipher (and the older records are entirely in script), but once you get the standard elements of the basic document, you can focus on the essential data.

Best,
Jerry
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Grape » 14 Apr 2009, 23:24

Hi,
I find Google language tools useful.
Grape
Grape

6 posts • Page 1 of 1