Help translating a few lines of Italian Birth Act

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
jfmusso

Help translating a few lines of Italian Birth Act

Post by jfmusso »

Would be grateful for assistance reading and interpreting five lines of handwritten text from the attached Civil Birth Act from Palazzo Adriano, Sicily. They appear immediately following the sentence describing the two witnesses. The lines in question begin, "La dichiarante ha denunciata..." and end, "...da questo comune." In this case, the informant is a midwife (levatrice).

I have not run across these lines in research guides and other birth acts. Is it an explanation for the father's absence when the baby is presented to the mayor?
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Help translating a few lines of Italian Birth Act

Post by liviomoreno »

jfmusso wrote: ... Is it an explanation for the father's absence when the baby is presented to the mayor?
Yes you're correct.

The quality of the picture is very poor an I was not able to understand all the words.

"La dichiarante ha denunciato la nascita suddetta per avere nella suindicata sua qualità prestato i servizi dell'arte sua nell'atto del parto e in luogo del marito della .... il quale non ha potuto .... perché lontano da questo comune."
jfmusso

Post by jfmusso »

liviomoreno wrote:
jfmusso wrote: ... Is it an explanation for the father's absence when the baby is presented to the mayor?
Yes you're correct.

The quality of the picture is very poor an I was not able to understand all the words.

"La dichiarante ha denunciato la nascita suddetta per avere nella suindicata sua qualità prestato i servizi dell'arte sua nell'atto del parto e in luogo del marito della .... il quale non ha potuto .... perché lontano da questo comune."
That was a huge help Livio. Thank you very much. I was able to fill in one of your blanks: "...in luogo del marito della Cannariato..." Cannariato is the mother's maiden name.

These lines are written in such a way that it sounds as if the midwife is angry about being stuck with the additional duty of having to present the child to the town official. Am I interpreting the Italian correctly? Or is this standard language that is used in birth acts whenever the husband does not show up?

Jim
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

That's a standard terminology used when the father cannot show up.