*** There is a problem with new registrations - Contact us when you did not receive an activation email ***

Translation Assistance Please: Italian to English

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Translation Assistance Please: Italian to English

Postby taxi55 » 29 May 2009, 22:04

Hello All! I need help!!! Is someone willing/able to review these attached files I just obtained.

I do not expect someone to translate the entire document. I am hopeful someone could just confirm what these documents are and provide me with some key facts (i.e., name, parents, date of birth, place, siblings, etc.) These files pertain to Domenico Cantasano (1874 - 1947) born in Craco, Italy and I've been told he was orphaned at an early age and eventually immigrated to New York about 1892. (I have not been able to find his immigration records. If any one can find them it would mean a lot to me.)

Sorry ... these files emailed to me have definitely seen better days and are difficult to read even if you copy and enlarge them, so I will understand if it is not possible. This is all I have regarding this ancestor's early years, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks so much!
Looking for family history in: Baiano, Avella, Stigliano and Craco.
Names researching: Acierno, Rienzi, Guariglia, Cantasano, Mormando, Benedetto, Seccafico, Napolitano, Belladoni, Fiordilisi.
taxi55
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Translation Assistance Please: Italian to English

Postby JohnArmellino » 30 May 2009, 02:09

The first one appears to be the birth record of Domenico Cantasano. I can't quite make out his father's given name, but it seems to begin with "Cost..." (Costantino?) and he was the son of Francesco Cantasano, deceased at the time of the record. He was thirty years old and was a proprietario (property owner). His mother's given name seems to be Camilla, but I can't make out her surname. She was the daughter of the late Domenico, 27 years old, and a filtrice (spinner). Domenico was born 19 OCT 1874.

The second one is the marriage record of Angiola Maria Cantasano, daughter of Antonio, and Giovanni Fergione, son of the late Pasquale and the late Maria Pignataro. It is dated 9 SEP 1894 (not sure about the ninety).

These are really hard to read, so there is some guess work here. Hopefully you have other info that might confirm the data. Sorry I couldn't have been of more help.
John Armellino
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Postby taxi55 » 30 May 2009, 13:45

Makes sense that the name you mentioned for Domenico's father is Constantino. That's the name given to Domenico's first son. Thanks for confirming this! And - I had no idea that Domenico's grandfather was Francesco - pretty cool... Is there any mention of the grandmother - Francesco's wife?

Would Domenico's mother's surname that is difficult to read be: D’UrsoSimonetti by any chance - or something similar? Thanks for providing her given name and age!

I am really confused with that darn Marriage page:
The second one is the marriage record of Angiola Maria Cantasano, daughter of Antonio, and Giovanni Fergione, son of the late Pasquale and the late Maria Pignataro. It is dated 9 SEP 1894 (not sure about the ninety).

I don't know who this is? Is there any way to see on that page if she is related to Domenico? I am not familiar with Italian birth and marriage records, but why would this Angiola Maria Cantasano's marriage record be attached to Domenico's birth record? Is this standard procedure in Italy?

Thanks for taking the time JohnArmellino to read this really awful copy I have. You provided me info I did not have and that is much appreciated! BTW - I just read your input on another thread about Atti diversi & Processetti - and found it very informative. Great stuff!

Any one else out there able to somehow read a little more of these attached documents and clue me in? If you copy and paste into a different program and then enlarge or brighten - it is a litle easier to read.

Thanks!
Sophia
Looking for family history in: Baiano, Avella, Stigliano and Craco.
Names researching: Acierno, Rienzi, Guariglia, Cantasano, Mormando, Benedetto, Seccafico, Napolitano, Belladoni, Fiordilisi.
taxi55
Veteran
Veteran

Postby JohnArmellino » 30 May 2009, 14:20

Would Domenico's mother's surname that is difficult to read be: D’UrsoSimonetti by any chance - or something similar?

Yes, that appears to be the surname.

The second one is the marriage record of Angiola Maria Cantasano, daughter of Antonio, and Giovanni Fergione, son of the late Pasquale and the late Maria Pignataro.

I should have said that this record references the marriage of Angiola Maria Cantasano and Giovanni Fergione. The first part of the record seems to reference the birth of Angiola Maria. It may be an extract obtained in anticipation of marriage. Without the context of the document, it's difficult to say exactly what type of record this is or why it may have been attached to the other record.
John Armellino
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations