*** There is a problem with new registrations - Contact us when you did not receive an activation email ***

Handwriting Help needed!!!!

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Handwriting Help needed!!!!

Postby xoxlisalisaxox » 30 May 2009, 16:26

I have found an old Manifest listing for my Great Grandfather and I'm unable to read the last town that he resided in before he left! Below is the link of the document. The town that I am trying to figure out in listed on line Numer 17. If anyone can figure it out, please let me know!!! Thanks!!!

Ellis Island Records
xoxlisalisaxox

Re: Handwriting Help needed!!!!

Postby eyetalgal » 30 May 2009, 18:33

It looks like RUVIANO above & Cimignano below
eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Seraphina » 01 Jun 2009, 05:20

Hi there,

I don't think the first word is Ruviano, but it is almost impossible to decipher what it should be.

Do you know what region of Italy Pasquale lived in? Although the surname is Napolitano, he needn't necessarily have lived in or near Naples.

Have you any other documents - census, draft papers etc - which might give the information?

Seraphina
Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran

Postby maribor » 01 Jun 2009, 06:48

I think it isn't Cimignano (it doesn't exist) but GIMIGNANO for San Gimignano, in Tuscany, province of Siena. And the other, might be RACCIANO, next to San Gimignano.
maribor

Postby xoxlisalisaxox » 01 Jun 2009, 19:40

My Grandfather is actually Felice which is listed right below Pasquale, but the name of the city they were from was listed on Pasquale's line. They maybe brother, seems that they were traveling together!

I checked the Census' from 1910 through 1930 which I have, but unfortunately it only states that he is from Italy.

His wife actually came over later than he did and I just used this site to try to figure out the handwriting on the passenger list. I'm not sure if Felice was from the same place as Filomena, but it seems like they were married over in Italy, so it's possible. Here is her passenger list as Filomena Tansillo which is on lines 22 along with her two children Teresa and Aniello

[img]http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_weif_5a.asp?src=%2Fcgi-bin%2Ftif2gif.exe%3FT%3D\\\\192.168.4.226\\images\\T715-1301\\T715-13010335.TIF%26S%3D.5&pID=101638060022&name=Filomena%26nbsp%3BTansillo&doa=Jul+11%2C+1909&port=Naples&line=0022[/img]
xoxlisalisaxox

Postby CowryShells » 10 Jul 2009, 03:58

I think listed under "country" is Caserta. The province of Caserta is in the Campania region of Italy. I can't be sure of the town. Here are the towns in Caserta: http://en.comuni-italiani.it/061/index.html I couldn't find a match.

The final destination is Carbondale, Pennsylvania.

This is an interesting document to try to decipher!

I hope you get the information you are looking for.
CowryShells
Veteran
Veteran

Postby uantiti » 10 Jul 2009, 08:39

Hi,

Cirignano is a hamlet of Montesarchio which is just half way between Benevento and Caserta. This town is now under Benevento province but could have been under Caserta at that time. The other town listed on Filomena Tansillo manifest (Avella) is not far from Montesarchio. In this area there are three provinces (Avellino, Caserta, Benevento) and borders were relocated in the years.

Hope this helps.

Ada
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Postby PeterTimber » 11 Jul 2009, 14:13

They are two separate towns with different zip codes so it seems possible that he indicated that he last resided in both towns and the preparer of the ships manifest put down both. =Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations