Translate the back sides of photos

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Translate the back sides of photos

Post by elba »

Lucap wrote:
Dora Liberato Silvano
con tanto affetto a voi xxxx [baci?]

Vi ricordate dell'Italia? 1959 Silvano

L.

Dora Liberato Silvano

with much affection to you xxxx (kisses)

Do you remember Italy? 1959 Silvano
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

Lucap wrote:
Caro zio vedete i vostri 3 giganti [alberi, persone???] come sono prosperosi? Stanno su per le scale del poderuccio e non volendo ci sono presi pure quelli della loggia sopra lo zio Piero, Giulio, Liberato, Bruno, Marino, Vivaldo, xxx, Silvano. Con affetto...

(!)

L.

Dear uncle do you see your 3 giant trees (trees, people???) how they thrive? They are standing on the stairs of the (little) farm and without trying they have taken over the the loggia above. uncle Piero, Giulio, Liberato, Bruno, Marino, Vivaldo, xxx, Silvano. With love....

If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Post by donnawright »

Wonderful collaborative effort from Cowry, Luca, and Elba. Much appreciation. These were unselfishly sent to me by my niece; I did not know they existed. Seems my Aunt who immigrated here gave these to her before she died.

Please continue to translate. I think I have a few more that I will submit later. Again, thank you...!! Baci!

Donna
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Post by donnawright »

Will one of your wonderful translators take another look at these? Posted are the backs of 5 photos. One has been translated. Looks like Luca read the handwriting and posted in Italian and Elba translated one of the five. I would appreciate your assistance. I have a "poderuccio" problem and hopefully something is here that will help. Plus.... treasures.
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

The first three were already transcribed by Luca and translated by Elba, her translation follows:

Dear uncle, see how beautiful the tree is which you looked after? For some years now it throws a shadow, I hope you keep it in your memory and return soon to Italy as we are hopeful (we hope you will return soon to Italy). Without you the calves dream of you in front of the oven where the fig tree used to be, but empty like this you can even see the Poderuccio Silvano castle.

Dora Liberato Silvano
with much affection to you xxxx (kisses)
Do you remember Italy? 1959 Silvano

Dear uncle do you see your 3 giant trees (trees, people???) how they thrive? They are standing on the stairs of the (little) farm and without trying they have taken over the the loggia above. uncle Piero, Giulio, Liberato, Bruno, Marino, Vivaldo, xxx, Silvano. With love....

I don't believe that the other two will add anything to your poderuccio problem, however this is the translation:

Father Fosco with much affection a souvenir Castell'Ottieri Italy

Amabile (lovable?) Gino Liberato xxxx a souvenir from Italy 1959 - Greetings Dora
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Post by donnawright »

My mistake. Apologies to you, Livio and to Elba. I was juggling the photos tonight and trying to make some sense again where this Poderuccio is, and who these people are. I overlooked some of the translations in my review. I'm sorry I wasn't thorough. Actually, Livio, there are some new terms in the two you translated -- Dora and Castell'Ottieri. Who and What ... to be determined. Again, my apology.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Castell'Ottieri ( http://www.castellottieri.it/ ) is a hamlet of the town of Sorano, province of Grosseto, Tuscany). Poderuccio is a Locality (a real estate) near Castell'Ottieri.
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Post by donnawright »

Thank you for that, Livio. Comune of Sorano will not respond to my requests for information, so anything at this point is useful and adds to the puzzle. I have a photograph with names of people in it (as described in one of the translations), but I have no idea who they are. The "zio" referred to MUST be my grandfather because he was the only male adult going to America; possibly children of his siblings. I know he had several siblings as mentioned in his obituary, but I do not know their names.

Any suggestions on getting stato di famiglia and perhaps a marriage record from Sorano? I sent email several times beginning in February with no reply. Elba sent Italian postage to me, and I sent another letter a few weeks ago with postage paid return envelope. Any other ideas? Paginebianche does not show anyone with my surname in Sorano, so I will look a little further out and send a few letters out. It would help if I knew the names of the brother and sisters of Liberato Biagianti, my grandfather.

Thanks again.