Help with a Translation Honoring my Grandmother

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Help with a Translation Honoring my Grandmother

Postby marino2 » 17 Jul 2009, 03:54

I have a little bit of a unusual request. My grandmother's maiden name was Grace Marino and her father Carmen Marino was born somewhere in the Calabria region of Italy. My grandmother raised me as a child and she passed in 2000. In her honor I want to get a tattoo reading as follows,
"In the footsteps of my grandmother, I continue the walk."
I am hoping someone can help me translate this phrase into a Calabrese dialect. I have read that almost every town in the region has their own dialect. I don't know if this is true, but I hope someone on this site can help. Thank you in advance.
marino2

Re: Help with a Translation Honoring my Grandmother

Postby PeterTimber » 17 Jul 2009, 14:53

There is an italian website that deals with dialects but it is in Italian www.dialettando.com. Click on CONTATTI and send them your inquiry in english. I am sure they will understand english. An alternative is to go to google.com and put in the title Calabria dialect which will be of great assistance to you.

There might be an idiomatic expression for your choice of words so perhaps if you find her town of origin (www.ellisisland.org or ask relatives), you might get back to us so we can direct you further. =Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations