Help in writing a letter!

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Help in writing a letter!

Postby arist » 18 Aug 2009, 15:17

Hello all.

A friend of mine has been helping me with translations, but he's on holiday and really don't want to bother him.

This board has been kind enough to translate for me before. Would someone mind helping with this one? Thank you!

"Dear Sir/Madam,

I'm writing to request a search for documents on my great-grandfather, ANTONIO (ANTHONY) ZACCARDO.

He was born in New York in the Unites States on 8/1/1900. Moved back to Italy with his father (Domenico) and mother (Maria Theresa) in 1904. He lived in Muro Lucano, PR Potenza. The facts of his citizenship status are unclear. It's said that he left his family at age 15, joined the Italian military and served in WWI. In 1923, he returned to the United States.

As I will be applying for dual-citizenship with the Italian Consulate in New York, I need to show evidence that Antonio was an Italian citizen while in Italy. Possibly even renouncing his US citizenship to fight in the war.

Would you be able to assist in my search of finding proof of Italian citizenship?

Thank you.

Sincerely,
"
arist
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Help in writing a letter!

Postby PeterTimber » 18 Aug 2009, 17:23

Go to www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/saviello2.html for hisw military records in Potenza. The form letter for his conscription records are in Italian. Go to www.archivi.beniculturali.it/UCBAWEB for the Potenza address of the Archivio di Stato di Potenza putting in Potenza alongside "city"Send them the letter for his conscription records "Registro Di Leva".

Since Italy was an American Ally in WW1 there should have been little problem with his joining the Italian army at that time.

Your letter canbe translated by anyone here but perhaps you might wish to send a copy of the letter to the local town Census office (anagrafe) and the local Questura (police headquarters)ask them for his record of presence and absences, if any in the town itself and whether he applied for an Italian passport at the questura when he went to Italy to join the Italian army. =Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations