Help with translation and how to send funds

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
10 posts • Page 1 of 1

Help with translation and how to send funds

Postby wisemonkey » 26 Sep 2009, 01:38

Can someone please help me translate the following:

Oggetto: Liste di Leva

Si transmettono, per il seguito di competenza, le Liste di Leva richieste. Gli importi da correspondere sono i seguenti: 0,60 per le fotocopie ed euro 1,85 da valere per le spese postali (non di acettano assegni e coupon di postale universale perche non esigiblili). Suggeriamo d'inviare l'importo di euro 2,45 in busta chiusa all'interno di un foglietto ripiegato per evitare che si veda il contenuto e possa essere sottratto. Segnaliamo il nostro indirizzo: via Gavina 12-87100-Cosenza. Il lavoro e stato curato dall dott. Maria Nucci.

I went online to the ARCHIVIO DI STATO DI COSENZA website and ordered copies of 2 documents. I received the above text via an email pdf and did not respond because I did not want to through the process of sending funds since I really don't know what the process.

Then yesterday I received via postal mail the copies of the documents and the same letter. What is the amount that they are requesting and if possible can someone tell me the process to make payment?

Nowhere on the website does it mention anything related to cost when ordering copies.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
wisemonkey
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Help with translation and how to send funds

Postby jwazevedo » 26 Sep 2009, 02:05

It looks as if they just went ahead and sent you the documents, assuming you'd pay the 0.6 euros per photocopy and the 1.85 euros for postage.

I read somewhere that the Ruesch service is useful for sending euros to Italy. I haven't tried the service, but here's the info:

"Ruesch International bank drafts. An easy and inexpensive way to send money from North America to Europe is to telephone Ruesch International Financial Services at 800-424-2923. Ask for an international bank draft for the equivalent of $15.00 (or another amount) in Italian lire. There is a $3.00 service charge. Have the check made payable to the organization, the Ufficio di Stato Civile (civil registration office), or the Parrocchia (parish). Ruesch will give you a transaction number to write on your payment check. Send the payment to:
Ruesch International Financial Services
700 11th Street NW
Washington, D.C. 20001-4507
When they receive your payment, Ruesch will promptly send you a foreign currency draft (check) that you can mail to Europe. "

Good luck!
Jerry
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby wisemonkey » 26 Sep 2009, 02:10

Thank you for your response. Do you have any idea how much money they are requesting? I tried to do a currency conversion and came up with the equivalent 2,45 euros =$3.60. Does that sound about right?
wisemonkey
Rookie
Rookie

Postby jwazevedo » 26 Sep 2009, 03:33

Yes, they are requesting 2.45 euros, which is the equivalent of about $3.60 US. The can't really use US currency, so send them the euros. If you or a friend have some, from a previous trip or something, you could stick in a fiver, for example. Otherwise, maybe Ruesch can help. Ms Nucci is suggesting that you send the money in a security envelope that hides the fact that money is enclosed and thus doesn't tempt someone to lift it. She gives the address for where to send it. You could respond to her email with a little thank-you and the note that you'll be sending the money by mail directly.

Good luck,
Jerry
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby elba » 26 Sep 2009, 08:01

I have helped people use this method before and I would advise that you fold the notes into a piece of kitchen foil and then fold inside the suggested note and this which will diguise the metal strip found in many notes these days.

elba
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby PeterTimber » 28 Sep 2009, 12:38

Dear Elba your hired!!=Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby wisemonkey » 28 Sep 2009, 12:44

Thank you for all the great information.
Ended up going to the bank and mailing a well concealed euro note and followed up with an email. We'll see.
I did ask the post office about foil and they said that would probably be a dead give away that there was something of value in the envelope.
wisemonkey
Rookie
Rookie

Postby elba » 28 Sep 2009, 15:47

PeterTimber wrote:Dear Elba your hired!!=Peter=

Hahaha
That's great Peter - but what do you pay?

elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby PeterTimber » 28 Sep 2009, 18:19

Dear Elba sorry to say your fired! (see Post Office comment about foil paper!). With deep regret. =Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby elba » 28 Sep 2009, 21:30

wisemonkey wrote:Thank you for all the great information.
Ended up going to the bank and mailing a well concealed euro note and followed up with an email. We'll see.
I did ask the post office about foil and they said that would probably be a dead give away that there was something of value in the envelope.

Despite what they (the PO) say, it does work. The foil isn't in a packet which would indicate something of interest - but in an ordinary envelope which clearly has very few pages in it .... Ususally a one page 'letter' wrapped around a single small bank note which does not show. The foil could easily be part of a birthday card or such.

I have not known a letter like this go astray before.
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

10 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations