Help reading a baptismal record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Help reading a baptismal record

Postby cliklm » 28 Sep 2009, 23:40

I have a copy of a baptismal record from about 1794 that I need some help with. It is a church record written in Latin. I can read it but I'm having trouble with the order of the words!

It reads that Sebastiana, the daughter of Andrea Mortillaro and Joanne Faraone, was baptised January 1794. Next it states "Matthia (??) and Joseph e Vita (??) conjuges e Burgio."

What I am trying to determine is who is the document referring to when is says "conjuges e Burgio". Does this mean that the parents, Andrea Mortillaro and Joanne (Giovanna) Faraone, were married in Burgio or does it mean the witnesses Joseph and Vita were married in Burgio?

Thanks for any assistance!

Kathy Montelaro
cliklm

Re: Help reading a baptismal record

Postby liviomoreno » 29 Sep 2009, 05:22

If you post the document it will be easier to give an answer.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby cliklm » 29 Sep 2009, 17:35

I'll try to take you to the document.

Please go to:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43041387@N04/

Not sure I'm doing this correctly though.

Kathy
cliklm

Postby Lucap » 29 Sep 2009, 21:25

Die Vigesimo Januarii
millesimo septingentesimo nonagesimo tertio
Ego Sacerdos Cajetanus Marino cappellanus La...
baptizavi infantem heri hora 7 noctis natam ex
Andrea Mortillaro, et Joanna Faraone
jugalibus cui impositum fuit nomen Rita Sebastiana
et Matthia. Patrini fuere Joseph et Rita Tudi-
sco conjuges terrae Burgii.

Il giorno 20 di Gennaio
Io Sacerdote Gaetano Marino cappellano la...
battezzai un'infante nata ieri all'ora settima della notte dai
coniugi Andrea Mortillaro e Giovanna Faraone
a cui fu imposto il nome di Rita, Sebastiana
e Mattia. Patrini [godparents] furono Giuseppe e Rita Tudisco
coniugi della terra di Burgio.

I'm not completely sure, especially for what concerns the name. The text says "nome" in the singular but then i believe to see 3 names (and only one underlined)! I also did miss the last word of the first line (i thought at the word "laicus" that stands for tha adjective "laico" http://www.wordreference.com/iten/laico but i'm not sure).

L.
Lucap
Master
Master

Postby cliklm » 30 Sep 2009, 02:21

Thank you for helping me with this record. It looks like Andrea and Giovanna had triplets! This record was a part of Sebastiana's marriage record so perhaps the Priest underlined her name--just speculation.

It appears the Godparents Rita (could this be Vita?) and Giuseppe were from Burgio. That would make sense because I believe Giovanna's parents (at least her mother) was born in Burgio.

Thank you again!
Kathy Montelaro
cliklm

Postby Lucap » 30 Sep 2009, 07:50

cliklm wrote:... It looks like Andrea and Giovanna had triplets! This record was a part of Sebastiana's marriage record so perhaps the Priest underlined her name--just speculation.
Not at all. It was common to give a child more than one name. The strange thing (other than the priest used the latin word "nomen" - singular - and not "nomina" - plural) is that is underlined only one of them and not the first. An explanation could be that Rita (or Vita, like you says) is the first name of the godmother and the parents could have decided to thank her giving their child the same first name (while the real intention was to call her Sebastiana, the name used all over her life, evidently)

It appears the Godparents Rita (could this be Vita? It could be.) and Giuseppe were from Burgio.
Yes.

Luca
Lucap
Master
Master

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations