Translate parts of a letter, please

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Translate parts of a letter, please

Post by donnawright »

The letter represents success in the search! I get the gist of most of it. To clarify some that the Google translator didn't do such a good job, please take a look. I find sometimes it is difficult to distinguish relationships of people, as follows.

1. Sono i nipoti di Gina Modesti e di Egelsa. (Confusion here is I know they are not the grandsons, so what is the relationship to Gina and Egelsa (who are sisters for sure)

2. Vivaldo vive a Poderuccio ed è l'uomo anziano nelle foto che ti mando

3. Vivaldo è anche il cugino di Amabile, perchè suo padre e la madre di lei, Gina, erano fratelli

4. Egelsa ha vissuto lì con i tre figli da sola dopo che liberato se ne era andato in America, ma Vivaldo ha un'altra versione della storia: lei ha trovato il suo indirizzo da un amico, ha venduto una piccola casa di Liberato per avere i soldi del viaggio ed è andata in America sola con i figli per cercarlo, non gli ha mandato lui nè i soldi nè l'indirizzo

5. Vivaldo mi ha detto di avere delle vecchie foto ma ieri non è riuscito a trovarle, se le troverà me le farà vedere e io te le invierò!

6. E' stata ristruttirata dai tempi di Egelsa (lei abitava li prima di andare in America da Liberato) ma è rimasta in stile antico, è molto bella

Thanks for your help.
Donna
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Translate parts of a letter, please

Post by elba »

I hope this will solve a few more of the mysteries for you Donna.

elba

1. Sono i nipoti di Gina Modesti e di Egelsa. (Confusion here is I know they are not the grandsons, so what is the relationship to Gina and Egelsa (who are sisters for sure)

They are the nephews (nieces) of Gina Modesti and of Egelsa.

2. Vivaldo vive a Poderuccio ed è l'uomo anziano nelle foto che ti mando

Vivaldo lives in Poderuccio and is the elderly man in the photo I send you.

3. Vivaldo è anche il cugino di Amabile, perchè suo padre e la madre di lei, Gina, erano fratelli

Vivaldo is also the cousin of Amabile, because his father and her mother, Gina were siblings

4. Egelsa ha vissuto lì con i tre figli da sola dopo che liberato se ne era andato in America, ma Vivaldo ha un'altra versione della storia: lei ha trovato il suo indirizzo da un amico, ha venduto una piccola casa di Liberato per avere i soldi del viaggio ed è andata in America sola con i figli per cercarlo, non gli ha mandato lui nè i soldi nè l'indirizzo

Egelsa lived there alone with the three sons after Liberato went to America, but Vivaldo has a different version of the story: she found his address from a friend, had sold a little house belonging to Liberato to have the money for the journey and went to America with her children to find him, he didn’t send her either money or his address.

5. Vivaldo mi ha detto di avere delle vecchie foto ma ieri non è riuscito a trovarle, se le troverà me le farà vedere e io te le invierò!

Vivaldo told me he had some old photo’s but yesterday he couldn’t find them, if he does find them he will show them to me and I will send them to you!

6. E' stata ristruttirata dai tempi di Egelsa (lei abitava li prima di andare in America da Liberato) ma è rimasta in stile antico, è molto bella

It has been rebuilt since Egelsa’s time (she lived there before going to America to Liberato) but it has remained in the antique style, it is very beautiful
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Re: Translate parts of a letter, please

Post by donnawright »

Elba, Thank you. The more I learn, the more questions. Now we have two stories of how my grandmother got money to come to America. These story tellers are both still living. How I would love to sit around the table with them and let them figure it out together -- but I'd have to take you with me!! It's interesting what people remember.
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria