*** There is a problem with new registrations - Contact us when you did not receive an activation email ***

Translation please!

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
9 posts • Page 1 of 1

Translation please!

Postby grumpy215 » 03 Nov 2009, 15:01

Hi:
I sent a letter using the template on this website to the town we believe my great-grandfather was born. This is the response I received. In the letter I used one of the birth years we believe is correct, 1858, but we aren't sure. In this response the only date referenced is the date we believe he left Italy. Can someone help with the transaltion so I can possibly respond.
Thanks
Bill

In riscontro alla Vs. nota del 18 agosto 2009,si comunica che da ricerca effettuata, non risulta essere nato in questo Comune D'ONOFRIO Francesco intorno al 1884.

Distinti Saluti.

Firmato il Responsabile dei Servizi Demografici del Comune di Ferrandina (MT) Sig. Rocco LAFERGOLA
grumpy215

Re: Translation please!

Postby Tessa78 » 03 Nov 2009, 17:30

Looks like they are responding to your note of August 18, 2009, and the results are that there does not appear to be born in this commune D'Onofrio Francesco around 1884.

It is signed from the head of Demographic Services of Ferrandina.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby grumpy215 » 03 Nov 2009, 23:17

Thanks! That's what I was afraid of, it looks like they picked up on the wrong date. Back to square 1.
grumpy215

Postby PeterTimber » 04 Nov 2009, 04:01

e-mail the Directress Antonella Manupelli at the Archivio di Stato di Matera (provincial capital) at as-mt@beniculturali.it requesting his conscription records =REGISTRO DI LEVA and request a copy of the document. It may contain more information that you have not requested as well. An approximate birth year should be sufficient.

By the way when you wrote to the Uffico di Stato Civile in Ferrandina did you write in english? They usually will check within a decade for any record.

Go to www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/saviello2.html =Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby grumpy215 » 05 Nov 2009, 03:54

Thanks for the contact infornation about military records. That was on the to-do list. Where can I locate contact information for other provinces? My maternal grandfather supposedly served in the Army and was from Canicatti, Sicily.

To answer your question, yes I did write them in Italian using one of the template letters. Must have done something wrong as they picked on the emmigration date (1884) not his birth date, which I told them was 1858.
Bill
grumpy215

Postby misbris » 05 Nov 2009, 16:43

The Family History Center has the microfilmed records for Ferrandina. You might want to search yourself.

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... umns=*,0,0
misbris
Master
Master

Postby grumpy215 » 05 Nov 2009, 16:56

Thanks, I have been there and already scanned the microfilms for that period, but they are very difficult to read--at least for me. In addition, the copies they scan for you aren't a very high resolution. The records for that period are not in form format--most were entirely handwritten making it harder to decipher.
I did locate a copy of my maternal grandfather's birth record and one for my maternal grandmother's half-brother thru the microfilms. I'm trying to decipher those now.
Bill
grumpy215

Postby PeterTimber » 05 Nov 2009, 18:02

Dear Grumpy there is a companion book for the LDS films "Discovering Your Italian Ancestors by Lynn Nelson" which might make your life easier when researching the films.

Further if you read the website I furnished you about the Archivio di Stato for military records you would know where to direct your inquiries. =Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby grumpy215 » 05 Nov 2009, 19:45

Peter:
I did look at the website, but you were kind enough to give a person's name and email address. I was asking where I could find that information hoping to send an email, rather than a letter. If that level is information is on the link you sent, I must have missed it.
Sorry
Bill
grumpy215

9 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations