Document from Racamulto, Sicily

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Document from Racamulto, Sicily

Postby ilona » 28 Nov 2009, 19:13

I have a two page document regarding my grandmother's birth that I think she had to obtain before her marriage to my granfather.

This is the first time I am posting anything so I hope I am doing it correctly. Thanks for any help.

http://s663.photobucket.com/albums/uu36 ... opage2.jpg
ilona

Re: Document from Racamulto, Sicily

Postby Tessa78 » 28 Nov 2009, 21:48

Hello Ilona,

What I read on your document:
Commune of Racamulto, Province and Circondario of Girgenti
Birth Record #483 for 1893, recorded 17 September.
Raffaela Mattina

On this day before me, Dott. Giuseppe Vartolotta, mayor (administrator) at the Town Hall --
Angelo Mattina, 37, contadino, residing in Racamulto, to say that at 4:05 PM on the 16th of this month was born at home at #9 Via Barone, to his wofe Brigida Tailei (spelling?), a female baby they have named, Raffaela.

Witnesses:
Vincenzo Mattina, 42, (looks like zolfataio), and Abramo Salvatore Falis (spelling???), 41, contadino.

Not sure of the spelling of Brigida's last name. Maybe someone else can check on that.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 28 Nov 2009, 21:50

Typo - the administrator's last name is Bartolotta, and of course, "to his wofe" should read "to his wife".

Sorry
Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 29 Nov 2009, 08:15

Tessa78's excerpt is 100% correct, a word by word translation follows:

Commune of Racamulto, Province and Circondario of Girgenti
Extracted from the Birth Register for the year 1893 , number 483.
Raffaela Mattina

The year 1893, Sept. 17 at 11:10am before me, Dott. Giuseppe Bartolotta, town councilor sitting for the mayor and the senior town councilor [who are] occupied, Civil State Officer of the municipality of Racalmuto, appeared Angelo Mattina, 37, farmer, residing in Racamulto, who declared that at 4:05 PM on the 16th of this month was born at home at #9 Via Barone, to his wife Brigida Taibi, living with him, a female baby that he shows to me and that he names, Raffaela.

Witnesses to the above and to this act were Vincenzo Mattina, 42, sulpher miner, and Abramo Salvatore Fales , 41, farmer, both residing in this town. This act was read to the attendees who declared to be illiterate and was signed only by the undersigned G. Bartolotta.

True copy released for the xxxxx use.
Racalmuto July 6, 1914
the Civil State Officer
[signature unreadable]
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby ilona » 29 Nov 2009, 22:56

Thanks for your help.
ilona

5 posts • Page 1 of 1