LATIN TRANSLATION REQUEST

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
User avatar
Peggy21459
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: 03 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: New York, USA

LATIN TRANSLATION REQUEST

Postby Peggy21459 » 18 Feb 2004, 21:30

A picture of the church my grandfather went to as a child in Deliceto, Italy shows the following carved over the entrance 'ERIS IN PESTE PATRONUS' Can anyone tell me what it means?

Peggy

User avatar
Maurizio
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 161
Joined: 29 Aug 2002, 00:00
Location: Canavese, Piemonte, Italia
Contact:

Postby Maurizio » 19 Feb 2004, 13:52

The meaning is "You'll be (our) patron during (in case of) pestilence". It's an invocation/supplication probably directed to Saint Rocco, who traditionally is the saint invoked by Italian people to be protected by this plague. Is the church entitled to San Rocco?
Ciao, Maurizio

User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 11652
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: LATIN TRANSLATION REQUEST

Postby suanj » 19 Feb 2004, 15:06

Peggy21459 wrote:A picture of the church my grandfather went to as a child in Deliceto, Italy shows the following carved over the entrance 'ERIS IN PESTE PATRONUS' Can anyone tell me what it means?

Peggy

bravo Maurizio: " You will be the protecting in the plague. ..." regards, suanj

User avatar
Peggy21459
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: 03 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: New York, USA

THANK YOU!

Postby Peggy21459 » 19 Feb 2004, 15:39

Maurizio wrote:The meaning is "You'll be (our) patron during (in case of) pestilence". It's an invocation/supplication probably directed to Saint Rocco, who traditionally is the saint invoked by Italian people to be protected by this plague. Is the church entitled to San Rocco?
Ciao, Maurizio


Thank you so much for the translation! I think you helped me find the name of my grandfather's church. I had found two Catholic Churches in Deliceto (FG) and one IS Saint Rocco! I have a letter already to send to the pastor of the church.

Thank you once again.

Peggy

User avatar
Peggy21459
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: 03 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: New York, USA

Re: LATIN TRANSLATION REQUEST

Postby Peggy21459 » 19 Feb 2004, 15:43

suanj wrote:
Peggy21459 wrote:A picture of the church my grandfather went to as a child in Deliceto, Italy shows the following carved over the entrance 'ERIS IN PESTE PATRONUS' Can anyone tell me what it means?

Peggy

bravo Maurizio: " You will be the protecting in the plague. ..." regards, suanj

Thank you for the translation, Suanj. I think you and Maurizio have helped me find the name of the church!

Sincerely,
Peggy


Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests