Female Occupation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Female Occupation

Postby donnawright » 27 Mar 2010, 23:52

This is the mother's occupation shown on her baby's birth record. I have tried to find this word, but not successful.

Thanks for help.

Donna
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria

maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Female Occupation

Postby maestra36 » 28 Mar 2010, 00:28

Could you scan a bigger section of the document? I don't believe this is an occupation of a female, as the Italian word appears to end in an o which would be masculine. The only occupation that comes to mind is the word macellaio which means butcher.

donnawright
Elite
Elite

Postby donnawright » 28 Mar 2010, 03:04

Sure, here is the whole paragraph. The father of this baby is the deceased Giuseppe Servidone. You can see that the last two letters are RO based on the R in CataRina CuRcio. I see your point about the O ending indicating male.

Thanks. Try again!

Donna
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 28 Mar 2010, 03:22

I have seen many Italian records in which, even though an individual is deceased, his/her age and profession still appear in the record. There is an age given for Giuseppe, even though he is deceased, as you have stated, and I can see by looking at the record. I still believe that the occupation given was his when he was alive and that it was the occupation of butcher which I indicated in my previous entry. It is definitely not the occupation of the baby's mother. Her occupation is not in this record. What I can't decipher is the word which appears before the words "nel giorno trenta"-the 30th being the day of the birth.

donnawright
Elite
Elite

Postby donnawright » 28 Mar 2010, 03:43

It looks like IVI to me.... if you look at the VI in Servidone a few lines later' the other word is hyphenated and ends in TO on the next line.

As for the occupation, I key'd a few trys into the Google translator and both Macellaio and Macellaro both say "butcher". So I think you are right. One mystery solved.

Thanks for your interest.

Donna

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 28 Mar 2010, 06:33

maestra36 wrote:...What I can't decipher is the word which appears before the words "nel giorno trenta"-...

... macellaio domiciliato ivi, nato nel giorno trenta ...

... butcher domiciled there, born on day 30...

donnawright
Elite
Elite

Postby donnawright » 28 Mar 2010, 07:23

Thank you for helping me extract this data. Hopefully more experience will yield fewer questions.

Donna

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”