Female Occupation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Female Occupation

Postby donnawright » 28 Mar 2010, 00:52

This is the mother's occupation shown on her baby's birth record. I have tried to find this word, but not successful.

Thanks for help.

Donna
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Re: Female Occupation

Postby maestra36 » 28 Mar 2010, 01:28

Could you scan a bigger section of the document? I don't believe this is an occupation of a female, as the Italian word appears to end in an o which would be masculine. The only occupation that comes to mind is the word macellaio which means butcher.
maestra36
Master
Master

Postby donnawright » 28 Mar 2010, 03:04

Sure, here is the whole paragraph. The father of this baby is the deceased Giuseppe Servidone. You can see that the last two letters are RO based on the R in CataRina CuRcio. I see your point about the O ending indicating male.

Thanks. Try again!

Donna
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Postby maestra36 » 28 Mar 2010, 03:22

I have seen many Italian records in which, even though an individual is deceased, his/her age and profession still appear in the record. There is an age given for Giuseppe, even though he is deceased, as you have stated, and I can see by looking at the record. I still believe that the occupation given was his when he was alive and that it was the occupation of butcher which I indicated in my previous entry. It is definitely not the occupation of the baby's mother. Her occupation is not in this record. What I can't decipher is the word which appears before the words "nel giorno trenta"-the 30th being the day of the birth.
maestra36
Master
Master

Postby donnawright » 28 Mar 2010, 03:43

It looks like IVI to me.... if you look at the VI in Servidone a few lines later' the other word is hyphenated and ends in TO on the next line.

As for the occupation, I key'd a few trys into the Google translator and both Macellaio and Macellaro both say "butcher". So I think you are right. One mystery solved.

Thanks for your interest.

Donna
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Postby liviomoreno » 28 Mar 2010, 06:33

maestra36 wrote:...What I can't decipher is the word which appears before the words "nel giorno trenta"-...

... macellaio domiciliato ivi, nato nel giorno trenta ...

... butcher domiciled there, born on day 30...
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby donnawright » 28 Mar 2010, 07:23

Thank you for helping me extract this data. Hopefully more experience will yield fewer questions.

Donna
donnawright
Elite
Elite

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations