Learning Italian

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Learning Italian

Postby bousejg » 31 Mar 2010, 00:25

Can anyone recommend
an Italian website that teaches how to speak Italian. I'm looking for one with audio not just script.
bousejg
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Learning Italian

Postby wldspirit » 31 Mar 2010, 06:08

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby bousejg » 01 Apr 2010, 02:02

Thanks for the information. I ordered an audio CD from Pimsleur that teaches simple Italian. I looked into the Rosetta Stone but it's so expensive. I also found aboutitalian.com that has great help. Problem is you can say the words but don't know if you are pronouncing then correctly when you can't hear it. I found on Netflix a few DVD's on the Italian language. So all in all I hope to be able to master some of our lovely language.
bousejg
Rookie
Rookie

Postby wldspirit » 01 Apr 2010, 02:43

Rosetta Stone claims to be the best, but the price is steep, around a thousand dollars for the full set. :?

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby PeterTimber » 01 Apr 2010, 02:43

Dear bousejg nomatter what method you use you must be highly motivated, particularly since you are alone, not in a classroom, and used to memorizing and then using what you learned verbally or by reading Italian Newsdpapers on line even though it will show up iunitially as gibberish but slowlyyou will begin to make out words, phrases and looks like so that the subjectmatter becomes clear.

The other alternative is to take off for a year go to a Univeristy (where the girls/boys are) and learn Italian for foreigners which was my experience in Italy. After 6 months you will (if motivated) to begin thinking in Italian and after thatyou cannever forget what you learned,,just get rusty after 20 years or so. =Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby wldspirit » 01 Apr 2010, 02:47

I've used this site a few times when I've had a problem with correct pronunciation, click on the text to speech:

http://www.oddcast.com/technologies/tts/

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 01 Apr 2010, 02:50

My problem with the CD's I have is that there is no one to practice with, I would be better suited to a classroom setting. And while I may pick out words here and there, I worry about correct pronunciation. :oops:

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby johnnyonthespot » 01 Apr 2010, 12:01

I have had good results with basic Italian using this application, http://shop.transparent.com/store/trans ... 0122970508 although I don't recall paying $69.95 for it. I must have had a promo discount of some sort.

There are many websites which let you learn/listen/practice online for free. One example, http://www.lifeinitaly.com/italian
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations