Baldassarre, Vardaro matrimoni

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Baldassarre, Vardaro matrimoni

Post by maestra36 »

parental consent was required for marriage if the bride and/or groom was under the age of 21 or not of adult age. If they were minors, and all parents were deceased, then you get a record called a consiglio di famiglia, which is family council record. You may not have come across this kind of record yet.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

I'm going to get this figured out eventually (with your patience). You are a big help and I appreciate it. I am learning every day.
Thank you,

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

You did fine with your translation, Jim. The only other words are the occupation farmer (contadino and contadina), male and female- and the words celibre (single for the groom) and nubile for the bride
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

neither had been previously married-nothing else in these documents
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

With a lot of practice, you will learn to read these documents without help from anyone else on this forum.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Ah yes, I did see them. I think I wandered past them looking for ages which weren't there. Much appreciation for your help.

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I just want to tell you more about the family council record, in case you ever come across one. Normally they are completely handwritten. Family members of the underage spouse meet in council when both parents are deceased and cannot consent to the marriage. The council can be made up of grandfathers, uncles, cousins and, if no family members, then close friends of the family. They deliberate the merits and shortcomings of their family member marrying the other person-whether the person is of good moral character, whether, if a girl, she has a sufficient dowry, etc. Then they give their consent for their relative to marry .
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

If you need anything else, let me know, Jim
Peg
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

I frequently understand most of the document when it is on a standard form. However, the handwriting does me in far too often. I had one this morning that Livio helped me with.
Also, the records that are written out long hand without a form completely confuse me. But, I am trying.

Thank you again.

Jim
Jim

maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Jim
I had studied Italian in college but not used it for many many years when I started the microfilm research in 1997. It took a lot of practice to learn to read the records, but knowing some Italian did help a lot. The things that still gives me a problem are the surnames and street names in towns which are not my ancestral towns.
Anyway, I think you are doing really well. Don't get discouraged and never give up.
Peg
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

I appreciate your encouragement.

Jim
Jim

oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Hi Peg,
I found Giovanni's birth act. Can you gleen a date from the annotation? I was able to translate the rest.
Thank you,

Jim

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx34 ... 80_001.jpg

edit: sorry, forgot the image.
Jim

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Jim,

How does February 10, 1909 sound?

Marriage took place in S. Prisco between Giovanni B. and Elisabetta Vardaro

T.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Thank you T. I needed that little tidbit of info. I could not read the annotation but I thought I saw some numbers.

Jim
Jim