HELP IDENTIFYING OCCUPATION PLEASE?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

HELP IDENTIFYING OCCUPATION PLEASE?

Postby carolinechurch » 02 May 2010, 00:06

Not an Italian record, but any suggestions about the occupation of Antony Allar, second to bottom on page would be greatly appreciated.

It looks like Antony Allar, M.N. 'new feron' and Mary Lord, same, spinster.

All the other records list residence and occupation, mostly abbreviated: the previous one is Spittf' weav'r (Spitalfields, weaver) and the one before that Wapp mar' (Wapping, mariner)
Nearly all the other occupations are related to work on or around the river Thames, or silk weaving.
Any ideas?
Caroline.
Searching for my great x3 grandfather Raffaele CIACCIA, also known as Raphael/Ralph CHURCH. He was born in Napoli around 1792 and arrived in London before 1812 with his brother Saverio CIACCIA, where they married sisters Ann and Jane FURNEAUX. He switched between CHURCH and CIACCIA all his life, which has made it difficult enough to pin him down. I want to find his origin in Italy.
carolinechurch
Veteran
Veteran

Re: HELP IDENTIFYING OCCUPATION PLEASE?

Postby CowryShells » 02 May 2010, 12:19

There was an occupation called feroner, defined as ironmonger. Here are some sites that list the old names for occupations:
http://rmhh.co.uk/occup/f.html
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hitch/gend ... des.html#F
CowryShells
Veteran
Veteran

Postby carolinechurch » 02 May 2010, 21:09

Hey thanks so much, very useful websites.
I like knowing all the little extra details about people - he's my first ironmonger in a large family of silk weavers!
Caroline.
Searching for my great x3 grandfather Raffaele CIACCIA, also known as Raphael/Ralph CHURCH. He was born in Napoli around 1792 and arrived in London before 1812 with his brother Saverio CIACCIA, where they married sisters Ann and Jane FURNEAUX. He switched between CHURCH and CIACCIA all his life, which has made it difficult enough to pin him down. I want to find his origin in Italy.
carolinechurch
Veteran
Veteran

Postby CowryShells » 02 May 2010, 22:19

Glad to be of help! Best wishes in your research.
CowryShells
Veteran
Veteran

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations