Iannotta, Musto matrimoni

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
oilman19
Master
Master

Iannotta, Musto matrimoni

Post by oilman19 »

Could someone please translate this matrimoni for me. It looks like the same parents in the Musko matrimoni on a previous thread. It may help to clarify the mother's name.
Thank you very much.

Jim

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx34 ... rr1876.jpg
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Iannotta, Musto matrimoni

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Jim,

2 December 1886 marriage between
Francesco Musto (I don't believe it is Musko), 32, gardener, son of Lorenzo and Luigia Sbardone
And
Maria Rosa Iannotta, 23, farmer
daughter of Pasquale.

All born and reside in S. Maria Capua Vetere

T.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Hi T.

I agree it is Musto. I quoted the Musko thread because I haven't figured out how to link to another thread in the body of this one.
Thank you for the translation. I have to admit that I have been struggling with Luigia's surname. You still see Sbardone? Is that a common name in this area?

Note: I looked for the surname in S.M. but received no hits.

BTW. I was able to read (translate) the rest of the document.

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Jim
I have to agree with T that the surname is Sbardone, even though I don't see it in the current Italian white pages for the town. If you search the surname on the internet though, it does come up, so it is a real surname. It may just have been rare in SM Capua and died out there, or possibly this person was from some other town and just residing there.

That's great that you yourself are doing so well with the translation of these documents.

Peg
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Hi Peg.
Welcome back.
I wasn't doubting Tessa's ability as much as I was having a hard time figuring out the script. Everyone I showed it to just scratched their heads and couldn't make any sense of it. I was just encouraging a 2nd look.
Thank you for your input. It is appreciated.
BTW, I have found so many records with the surnames that I seek, I had to be able to read many of them to survive this journey. So now I only post the hard ones for the experts.

Jim
Jim

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Jim if interested you can look up Sbardone surname at www.surnamefinder.com

Sbardone is not listed in the surname dictionary as being Italian in origin but may have been local in origin or imported from abroad and italianized.

=Peter=
~Peter~
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Jim
As Peter says, the surname Sbardone may have been local in origin. I was just reading in the book I have called Our Italian Surnames by Joseph G Fucilla that some names beginning with s plus a consonant are dialectal (p.31). The Bardo part may have also been a pet name derived from names such as Bernardo or Berardo (p. 34).
Peg
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

It didn't sound Italian enough for me. Plus, I fought the script because it looked like someone ran some letters together.
Thank you for all of your help.

Jim
Jim

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Jim,

Kept thinking about the Sbardone name and varied the spelling...

Found that Sbordone is a very common name today in the Campania Region. Maybe the name is spelled with an "o" not an "a". In fact, there are 4 listings in the phone book for SMCV

http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... etere&ind=

Just a thought...

Check out the distribution today...
http://gens.labo.net/it/cognomi/

T.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Very interesting.
BTW Does the annotation on the right side have any significance? I've never seen an annotation on the Atto di Matrimonio before.
Thank you for helping with that unusual name.

Jim
Jim

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I tried blowing up the image, but I'm still not able to read the notation.

Sorry :(

T.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Would you know from experience if it is likely anything of importance. I don't believe I have ever seen it before.

Jim
Jim

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Good observation Tess. There are 1 SBARDONE and 77 SBORDONE in the ellisisland website reflecting the more obvious proper spelling of the surname. A+ =Peter=
~Peter~
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Peter,
That's pretty good evidence.

T.,
Is the annotation possibly an official signing off on the document? Just a guess.

Thanks to you both.

Jim
Jim

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

resembles an "L" to me.=Peter=
~Peter~