Help with deciphering and translating

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
jamiejamie

Help with deciphering and translating

Post by jamiejamie »

My dad handed me a bundle of paperwork from my grandmother's attic. This was in the middle of emigration papers, birth certificates and, I think, a will.

http://yfrog.com/87unknown1j

Any help in translating what it is would be most appreciated.

JAMIE
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Help with deciphering and translating

Post by liviomoreno »

[align=center]Cosenza's office of keeper of the mortgages
Nr 1649 of the General register
Nr 9266 of the Special register
The keeper of the mortgages of Cosenza
Certifies[/align]
that Today was withdrawn the registration made in May 1904, nr 21463, in favor of Francesco Niccoli son of the deceased Raffaele form Grimaldi against the spouses Rosa Podestio daughter of Giovanni and Pietro Maio son of the deceased Giuseppe, based on the public receipt drawn up on November 26, 1904, in front of the Notary Rosalbino Gagliardi residing in Grimaldi and registered in Sogliano on December 8 same year with nr 139, existing in the office together with the relevant request.
[align=center]Specification
Taxes an stamps Lire 2,20
Paper for this act Lire 1,20

Cosaenza, February 24 1905
jamiejamie

Post by jamiejamie »

Thank you! That was very helpful, I am very appreciative. Now, what do you think it means? "Withdrawn the registration" is that foreclosure or a sale of property?
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

I don't know if the term mortgage is correct. In Italian it is Ipoteca. When you borrow money you may be requested to temporarily "freeze" the ownership of a property in favor of the person that gave you the money. You cannot sell it until you have paid the debt and if you do not pay your creditor will get the ownership of the property. It is a warranty...
"Cancellata la iscrizione" which I translated "Withdrawn the registration" means that the record saying that the property is "ipotecata" was canceled.
jamiejamie

Post by jamiejamie »

Again, thank you!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

liviomoreno wrote:I don't know if the term mortgage is correct. In Italian it is Ipoteca. When you borrow money you may be requested to temporarily "freeze" the ownership of a property in favor of the person that gave you the money. You cannot sell it until you have paid the debt and if you do not pay your creditor will get the ownership of the property. It is a warranty...
"Cancellata la iscrizione" which I translated "Withdrawn the registration" means that the record saying that the property is "ipotecata" was canceled.
Livio,

For future reference, it sounds like what we in the US would call a "Lien" followed by a "Release of Lien". See http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_lien
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Grazie Carmine, I appreciate your help and your explanations!
jamiejamie

Post by jamiejamie »

Grazie to both of you!