Translations of family Italian birth, death, marriage record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Translations of family Italian birth, death, marriage re

Post by Tessa78 »

:-D Thanks Jim!

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Second image is the birth record of Antonio Cresci

Record is dated 13 October 1865 (which is the date that the father declared the birth at the town hall)
Birth date is blurred, but is probably the same date since the birth occurred at 7 AM

Father - Antonio Cresci, 32, residing in S. Vicenzo
Mother - Rosa Granelli, 28, his wife
Baby - male named Antonio

Confusing, huh?
the "di Carlo" identifies Antonio (the father) as son of Carlo.

The witnesses were Giacomo Paganetti, 37, clerk; and Bernardo Cappelo, 42, farmer.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Third image is the same as the second...

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Fourth image you translated very well...

Dated 21 January 1869

Father - Giacomo Leonardi, 35, son of deceased Domenico, farmer
Mother - Maria Rosa Scagliola, 34, his wife
Baby - Maria Angela born at 10 AM

Witnesses: Pietro Magioa (sp?), 39 and Antonio Antonelli, 25.

Much of what you translated at the beginning is the formal wording by the comune official identifying himself and the comune.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

The last two images are the death record of Luigi Cresci, age 1 year and 4 months. Son of Carlo and Rosa Granelli of S. Vincenzo.

Declaration of the death was made on 25 June(?) 1865 before the town official by Carlo Cresci, 32, and Davida Gallinari, 21, farmers residing in S. Vincenzo, to say that at 8 AM yesterday morning in the house of his parents died Luigi Cresci.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

You may already be aware, but Italian women kept their surnames and so will always be identified by that name even when married.

T.
pansy1219

Post by pansy1219 »

Gee Whiz! Tessa, That was fast and that's great info too.
Thanks so very much.

About this first translation. I don't understand the words clerk after the two witnesses. You see, Angelo Leonardi is also the name of her brother. And it says Angelo Leonardi of Antonio, but I thought her father's name was Giacomo. Oh well, maybe the other documents will clear these things up.

I admire your work, but because you translated it so darn fast, I suspect your a pro and multi lingual. Isn't that great! I told my cousin Charlie Cresci who is 84 what I'm doing, he's so excited to see the results also. pansy
pansy1219

Post by pansy1219 »

Dear Tessa,
All you've done is incredable.
Do you see what I mean about Antonio Cresci' birth.
His father was Carlo Cresci. We know this because Antonio named his first son after his father Carlo Cresci. I am in touch with his 84 year old son. He names his son Charles and He named his son charles IV.

Can you make out what's wrong with that document. could they have made a mistake like that?I don't understand what you mean when you say this - the "di Carlo" identifies Antonio (the father) as son of Carlo.
WHAT? I need a nap again, LOL i keep reading it over and over and the more I repeat it the more my head hurts. LOL I can't stop laughing.
pansy
pansy1219

Post by pansy1219 »

I'm starting to look around the site a little,, very little, don't want to get lost. I thought that was cute, they put Newbie under my name, should be Screwy. everytime i give you my e maiol it puts spaces in. Oh well. Trying to understand the site a little more.

Again, my sincerest appreciation. pansy
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Glad to help... :-)
T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

"impiegato" which follows the witnesses' names is a word that can mean, "employee, clerk, servant, office worker." People were often identified with the name of their father, their age, and their occupation, on documents.

T.

I sent you an email... :-)
pansy1219

Post by pansy1219 »

Dear Tessa, is it possible to delete some messages on this site.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Yes,
Go to the post you want to delete and click the edit button (these can only be posts you made)

Highlight and delete what you want to.

If you want to delete the entire message...you must leave SOMETHING on the post...sooo...delete everything and TYPE "deleted" in it's place and then click "submit"

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello pansy,

I took anothr look at Antonio's birth record and I see what you mean about a "mistake"...

Always possible...

The baby's name at left is Antonio "di Carlo and Rosa Granelli" So the father is Carlo and the mother is Rosa Granelli.

When you go to the body of the act, the father is identified as Antonio, and the child as Antonio. So either the father had Antonio in his name (not out of the ordinary) and was known by that, OR the local official didn't have his mind on what he was doing and wrote Antonio instead of Carlo.

And we know that Carlo was married to Rosa Granelli :-)

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello pansy,

I took anothr look at Antonio's birth record and I see what you mean about a "mistake"...

Always possible...

The baby's name at left is Antonio "di Carlo and Rosa Granelli" So the father is Carlo and the mother is Rosa Granelli.

When you go to the body of the act, the father is identified as Antonio, and the child as Antonio. So either the father had Antonio in his name (not out of the ordinary) and was known by that, OR the local official didn't have his mind on what he was doing and wrote Antonio instead of Carlo.

And we know that Carlo was married to Rosa Granelli :-)

T.