di Lorenzo, Raucci matrimoni

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
27 posts • Page 2 of 21, 2

Re: di Lorenzo, Raucci matrimoni

Postby Tessa78 » 17 Jun 2010, 16:08

I only mention it because you posted this thread with "Raucci"...

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 17 Jun 2010, 16:13

Hi Jim and T
You know I have to put in my two cents. A few things-
1.The surname was di Laurienzo. I have an ancestor whose first name was written in the early records as Laurienza and then it got changed to Lorenza in the later records. So I think it was just a change in spelling of the name over a period of time. I was not surprised to see that difference in spelling, but there is an i in the surname as T corrected it to have.

2. the widower of Domenica Santoro-this is where the information on the top left of the second page is important to decipher- that handwritten info is a list of the documents the spouses had to present for the marriage-the act of birth of the groom, the act of birth of the bride, the death record of the first (true?) wife of the groom. The location of the words "vedovo lo sposo di Domenica Santoro" leads one to believe that they should go with the info related to the bride, but the document is stating the groom was a widower. The info has nothing to do with the bride's family.

3. bride's mother's name Maria Irene Tescione (it was not uncommon for later documents to drop the Maria from the name and just use the middle name). So many people in these towns had the first name Maria. It was a name even used as a first and middle name for men. I have many documents with the Maria dropped in later documents for the same individual.

4. the notification of the celebration of marriage was posted on the door of the town hall on Jan 10th of the year above, a Sunday; also on page 2 in the list of documents needed for the marriage it says #4, the act of notification resulted in no opposition to the marriage.

5. the handwritten info above the words La notificazione-the last paragraph of the left side of page 1- consent to this act was obtained from the respective parents of the spouses

Page 2-left side -there were 4 witnesses to the solemn promise made by the bride and groom-none of these are priests, although two do have the title Don which means Lord in front of them-as in Lord and Lady-

Although none of the 4 witnesses are said to have been related to groom or the bride, sometimes a marriage document will specifically state that the witnesses were produced by one of the spouses. Normally these are people known to the bride and/or groom and their families-

1, Don Domenico Garofalo,age 43, tipografo (printer) living on Strada della Croce-
2. Don Ferdinando Abbate, age 41, possidente-land-owner -Strada Sant' Erasmo
3. Nicola Martucci-age 46-town servant-living on Strada della Croce
4. Procopio della Ventria, age 26, a writer, living on Strada San Sebastiano
(yeah, Procopio was actually a saint's name-I checked on that, as I have never heard of it!-it was a Greek name, it seems)

That is all I have to say about the left side of the document. I just wanted to help Jim with the handwritten info. Sometimes there are important clues in the handwritten info and I do believe it is important to decipher that info.

Question for T-do you see the word compiti handwritten after the groom's age of 32, which I agree with? do you know why that info was added or what it means? Just translating the word doesn't do it for me.

I haven't had a chance to look at the right side of the document yet, but I'm sure T did well with that side too.

Peg
maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 17 Jun 2010, 16:31

Jim
The right side of the document-
The marriage did take place on the 4th of Feb, as T, has already stated but it is dated on Feb 20th. It states that the parish priest of Santa Maria sent back to the town officials one of the copies of the promise (referring to the solemn promise on the left) that they had sent to him, on which he certified that the marriage took place in his parish on the 4th of Feb in the presence of witnesses: Pasquale Tramunto and Michele Baldassare.

I think that is all I have to say. Sorry to have added so much to what T had translated, but I think the additional info will help to translate some future documents in this format yourself.

Peg
maestra36
Master
Master

Postby oilman19 » 17 Jun 2010, 18:04

Tessa
I'm sorry. I missed that fact. I didn't realize I had left the o off of the name. I was trying to figure out why you mentioned it. :oops:

Peg
You're scaring me. 8O I can't imagine being able to glean that much info with my very limited Italian skills.
Thank you for such a comprehensive translation on this "new" form. It will require a great deal more studying on my part.

My heartfelt thanks to both of you.

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
oilman19
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 17 Jun 2010, 18:18

Jim
I didn't mean to overwhelm you with so many details. I know you are anxious to learn to read these documents yourself and this is the only way I know of to really help you. The website T gave you will help you with the format and a lot of the printed info, but I am trying to help you with the handwritten info. I have found things like death dates of grandfathers buried in marriage records or death dates of one or more parent of the spouses buried in the record. My one town in Sicily gives the dates with the records required for the marriage. You just never know what good info the handwritten parts of a document will yield. The only thing I omitted is that it does say that the parents of the spouses and the spouses themselves were illiterate.
maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 17 Jun 2010, 18:20

That info appears above the signatures. Only the town official and the witnesses signed the document and were literate.
maestra36
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 17 Jun 2010, 20:16

"Widower" by definition...implies that the reference was to the groom, not the bride.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 17 Jun 2010, 20:22

T-
Absolutely. I just found the placement of the information on the first page to be strange. That's the point I was trying to make.

Also, do you know anything about the word compiti that appears after the groom's age? I have no idea what that is supposed to mean.
maestra36
Master
Master

Postby oilman19 » 17 Jun 2010, 22:17

Peg,
I really do appreciate what you provided. I will be using it as a guide along with the format that Tessa provided me. I will simply have to spend more time translating to be sure nothing is missed.
Don't worry about overwhelming me. I can handle it.
I'm pleased to prove the record belongs to my GGM's sibling. :)
You are both a great help to me.

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
oilman19
Master
Master

Postby oilman19 » 17 Jun 2010, 23:41

For clarification purposes-Domenica Santoro was the first bride of Francesco Rauccio? :?:
When I went to enter the info into my family tree, I was confused about who she was.

Thank you.

Jim
Jim

oilman19
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 18 Jun 2010, 00:28

Yes, Jim, Domenica Santoro was the first wife of the groom, Francesco Saverio Rauccio.
maestra36
Master
Master

Postby oilman19 » 18 Jun 2010, 00:42

Thank you. :)

Jim
Jim

oilman19
Master
Master

Previous

27 posts • Page 2 of 21, 2

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations