Citing Sources & Documents

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
aristides
Rookie
Rookie

Citing Sources & Documents

Post by aristides »

Everyone:

Many of my records come from FHL films of Italian commune records. I have been trying to find a way to cite them that I feel comfortable with. Can any of you share with me the way you cite an FHL microfilm as a source, and a specific birth, death or marriage record on a particular microfilm. Always appreciate your expertise and assistance.

pmm
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Re: Citing Sources & Documents

Post by JohnArmellino »

I use the following format:

Source: Campobasso (Campobasso), Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910 (Salt Lake City : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1983-1990), FHL INTL Film 1733191/NATI 1887/Numero 253, 8 May 1887, Family History Library, 35 North West Temple Street, Salt Lake City, Utah 84150-3400, USA, 91 microfilm rolls, 35 mm.

After the first citation for a given source, I use a condensed version by eliminating the publication and repository info.
John Armellino
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Ancestry has a Research Extract Form which you can download without an Ancestry subscription at their site...

http://c.mfcreative.com/pdf/trees/charts/resext.pdf

T.
aristides
Rookie
Rookie

Post by aristides »

Tessa:

Thanks for the extract source. Very useful.

John:

How do you differentiate between a bibliographic source and a citation for a given event? For example, I have a microfilm for births in Gaeta from 1870-1881, versus my grandfather was born on May 17, 1873 in Gaeta. Thanks for your help.

By the way, which one of you is from Western NY. I grew up there and went to college in Fredonia and Rochester.

pmm
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

I believe that my example above can be broken down as follows:

Source: Campobasso (Campobasso), Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910 (Salt Lake City : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1983-1990)

Citation Detail: FHL INTL Film 1733191/NATI 1887/Numero 253, 8 May 1887

Repository: Family History Library, 35 North West Temple Street, Salt Lake City, Utah 84150-3400, USA, 91 microfilm rolls, 35 mm

All of this info would be combined to create bibliographic entry or citation.

Usually, a genealogical software program provides a template that allows you to enter the relevant information and produce the correct citation in your reports.

There are two good publications on the subject of citations in genealogical research:

Evidence! Citation & Analysis for the Family Historian (Baltimore, MD : Genealogical Publishing Co., 1997) by Elizabeth Shown Mills.

Family History Documentation Guidelines by Carol Harless, Mary Harline, Alice Malquist, Bill Minnick, Leland Osburn, and Jan Unter of the Silicon Valley Computer Genealogy Group. You can go to http://www.svpafug.org/docguidelines.html to order this guide.
John Armellino