nascita & matrimonio record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

nascita & matrimonio record

Postby oilman19 » 17 Jul 2010, 10:34

http://img251.imageshack.us/i/carol2n.jpg/
http://img37.imageshack.us/i/carol1g.jpg/

A friend asked me for a better translation than she could accomplish on these 2 records, primarily because they appear to show scandal and embarrassment to her genealogical roots. :oops:
Would someone like to verify, for her, that her roots are not as squeaky clean as she had hoped? :)

Thank you

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
oilman19
Master
Master

Re: nascita & matrimonio record

Postby Tessa78 » 17 Jul 2010, 11:41

Hi Jim,

The birth record for Maria di Grazia indicates that the child was born to Michelangelo di Grazia and a woman living with him not united in a legitimate marriage.

The marriage record for Michelangelo and Concetta d'Agata asks for an act of recognition for the three children born to them (Alfio in 1875, Marianna in 1879, and Maria in 1882).

This thread/article may help with understanding...

JoBuj wrote:Interesting

I found this article, here is a portion from the link below.

http://www.regalis.com/adopt.htm

Before embarking on any project involving an adoptive ancestor or one born outside marriage, it is important that the researcher acknowledge and comprehend several factors. From 1860 until 1929, the Italian state (i.e. the Kingdom of Italy) did not recognize Catholic marriages. Although it is true that both ecclesiastical and civil marriages were performed for most spousal unions in certain parts of Italy (such as the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies) in the decades before 1860, the Kingdom of Italy refused to recognize ecclesiastical marriages altogether. [b:8c9d0b68b1]This means that an act of birth from, for example, 1875, might refer to a child as the son of "an unwed mother" who in fact was married in church but not at the town hall. [/b:8c9d0b68b1]Terms of one of the Lateran Treaties granted retroactive state recognition of these ecclesiastical marriages in 1929. Therefore, such acts must be confirmed by consultation of parochial records.

quote]

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby oilman19 » 17 Jul 2010, 12:46

Hi Tessa
I see my friend has more work to do. I was kind of hoping for a good scandal to hold over her. :)
She is much more organized than I am, so I thought maybe I could give her a jab. :D

Thank you for your help.

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
oilman19
Master
Master

Postby oilman19 » 17 Jul 2010, 22:41

My friend asked me to thank you very much for your response. She was so pleased that there may be other answers. She is happy. :D

Jim
Jim

oilman19
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 18 Jul 2010, 13:05

Glad to help :-)

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations