Mattora, Pomponio matrimonio

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
11 posts • Page 1 of 1

Mattora, Pomponio matrimonio

Postby oilman19 » 20 Jul 2010, 20:21

http://img96.imageshack.us/i/mattorapom ... r1890.jpg/
http://img689.imageshack.us/i/mattorapo ... r1890.jpg/

Apparently, this marriage took place in the town of the bride. I believe the parents of the groom are my 2g grandparents. However the mother of the groom shows only her middle name. For further confirmation, I am hoping some additional info appears on the 2nd page that will lock it in for me. I am a bit uncomfortable with the info that almost matches what I have in my family tree.
If someone would be willing to provide a complete translation of this document, I would be so grateful. :)

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
oilman19
Master
Master

Re: Mattora, Pomponio matrimonio

Postby Tessa78 » 20 Jul 2010, 20:55

Hi Jim, :D

Number 8
1890 day 7 of June at 10:15 AM
at the town hall of Curti, open to the public.
Before the official Alfonso Ventrigilia...
1) Raffaele Mattora, 28, peasant farmer, born in SMCV, residing in SMCV, son of deceased Matteo, residing in SMCV in his life, and deceased Antonia di Lorenzo, residing in SMCV in her life,
2)Margherita Pomponio, 27, born in Curti, residing in Curti, daughter of deceased Antonio, residing in Curti in his life, and deceased Maria Raffaela Trotta, residing in Curti in her life.

Will take a look at page 2...

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 20 Jul 2010, 21:02

The second page holds the standard marriage language with the asking of each if they take the other. They answered in the affirmative.
Witnesses were Simone Merola, 34, and Francesco di Giovanni, 66, both of this town (Curti)
The official then states that he sent this to Sig. Mayor in SMCV.
Then it is dated 9 June 1890
Then a copy was put into the allegati register...
Signatures.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 20 Jul 2010, 21:27

Just to add to what T said about page 2, the town official also read to the spouses articles 130, 131, and 132 of the civil code before asking each of them if they wanted to take the other as husband or wife. This is part of the standard marriage language to which T has referred.
maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 20 Jul 2010, 21:36

Also on page 2 is reference to the documents presented -specifically the publications made in both towns-in Curti, the first publication was made on May 11th and the 2nd on the 18th. In SMCV, the first was on the 18th and the second was on the 25th. The present act was read to all who intervened but only the town official and witnesses signed it. The spouses were illiterate and did not.
maestra36
Master
Master

Postby oilman19 » 20 Jul 2010, 21:37

I presume the Allegati register would be in the town of Curti. That would probably have the death record for the groom's parents?
I really believe this is my 2g grandparents but I really need an additional piece of evidence.
From previous documents, I have Matteo Mattori b. between 1819-1822 d. 1882 and Maria Antonia di Lorenzo b. between 1817-1822 d. 1879. It seems every time I think I have my various 2g grandparents in a document, there is always some doubt that I must overcome.
Oh well. As Carmine says, it is the joy of the hunt. I'll keep hunting.

Thank you

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
oilman19
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 20 Jul 2010, 21:51

This marriage record only lists the publications as the documents presented. It does not make mention of the birth records of the spouses nor of the death records of the groom's parents. You need to search for those death records in the microfilms for SMCV and not for Curti. Of course, you don't have estimated years to go by.
maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 20 Jul 2010, 22:03

I just looked again at the library history catalog films for SMCV. I don't see an allegati film for the year of 1890 for marriage. The year appears to be missing.
maestra36
Master
Master

Postby oilman19 » 20 Jul 2010, 22:14

Peg,
Since this marriage took place in Curti, shouldn't that be where the allegati register would be? Or, am i confused? :?

Jim
Jim

oilman19
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 20 Jul 2010, 22:50

Yes, Jim, you are right. I didn't mean to confuse you. If you find the allegati with the Curti microfilm, the death records you get for the groom's parents, if the copies are there, will be extracts or estratti that the groom collected from the clerk in SMCV for his marriage in Curti. If that fails, then you will have to go through Morti films in SMCV to find the original death records for the parents. The problem with this is that you currently do not have estimated years of death for them, so you are looking at death record films in SMCV blindly. Unless there is any error on the part of the town clerk who made the extracted copies from the originals in SMCV, the information in the extracted copies should be identical to the originals and there will be a statement to that effect handwritten somewhere on the extracted copies.
maestra36
Master
Master

Postby oilman19 » 21 Jul 2010, 01:20

Thank you, Peg

Jim
Jim

oilman19
Master
Master

11 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations