Atto di Notorieta?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Atto di Notorieta?

Post by jwazevedo »

Among the Allegati for the marriage of one of my ancestors, I found this very odd (to me) Record of Notoriety.

http://img341.imageshack.us/i/notorieta1.jpg/
http://img341.imageshack.us/i/notorieta2.jpg/
http://img341.imageshack.us/i/notorieta3.jpg/

The handwriting is not great and the image quality is poor and this is first time I've run across such a record. In sum, I have no idea what is being recorded here.

Since the record runs three pages, I'm not asking for a literal translation, but I would like to know the meaning of an Atto di Notorieta and generally what this one says, especially as it relates to the marriage and to the word "California" on the second page. Thoughts?

Thanks a bunch for any help.

Best,
Jerry
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Atto di Notorieta?

Post by suanj »

it is a public act ( Atto di notorietà*) , abt the oath of peoples( Bizzanelli Vittorio, Mazzini Giacomo, Bardesca ?Pietro and Mazzucoli Angelo, all from Garzeno), stating that Merga Stefano late Andrea of age 43 was for ll time in California, for the work....

The act of notoriety or oath attestation consists, under oath in the declaration made in presence to a public officer from persons attesting facts of which they are to acquaintance and that are known from all. The notoriety acts can regard all the facts to which the law attributes legal effects and all those attestations that are not in contrast with the law.

sorry no much readable the handwriting...
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jwazevedo »

Grazie mille, Suanj. So it seems that "notoriety" in this case is used not in the common English sense of "famous for something bad" but rather in the old Latin sense of "well known", an official statement made in public for legal purposes.

Since the copy was so poor, I guess we are left to speculate why the groom's presence in California at one time was important to document for his marriage. Interesting.

All the best,
Jerry
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

jwazevedo wrote:Grazie mille, Suanj. So it seems that "notoriety" in this case is used not in the common English sense of "famous for something bad" but rather in the old Latin sense of "well known", an official statement made in public for legal purposes.

Since the copy was so poor, I guess we are left to speculate why the groom's presence in California at one time was important to document for his marriage. Interesting.

All the best,
Jerry
Jerry sorry for "notoriety" word..... babelfish no used the right word :D however "well known " is better... thank you :D
It is good to learn !
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jwazevedo »

It's not a mistake, Suanj. My Harper Collins Dictionary also translates notorieta' as notoriety or fame. In English, notoriety usually has a "bad" connotation. It seems that Italian sticks with the Latin root and doesn't imply either good or bad, just well-known. The English words notary and notarized retain that same Latin meaning, and I think that Atto di Notorieta' is more like the English concept of a notarized document. At least, that's how it makes sense to me. Interesting, isn't it!
Best,
Jerry
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Interesting yes!
Thank you!
suanj