Salvatore Musto birth

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
oilman19
Master
Master

Salvatore Musto birth

Post by oilman19 »

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/6172 ... th1898.jpg

I have this document translated, but I don't understand what is in the space normally used for the marriage annotation. This is the 1st time I have had to deal with something that looks like this. :?
Can someone please explain?

Thank you

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Salvatore Musto birth

Post by maestra36 »

Jim
That is a marriage notation in the margin. It says con atto 19-6-26 in Napoli (Chian??) contratto matrimonio con Grazia Qu.... (not sure of her surname).

There appears to be a town name in parenthesis after Napoli which looks like it starts Chian...I don't see any town listed under Naples like this, so I am not sure yet what it is. Date of marriage looks like June 19, 1926.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

It could be...
Chiaiano, comune of Napoli - province: Napoli - region: Campania

As for the name...Like Peg, I find it difficult to read, but my first impression was that the name was Gxxxx Luisa (meaning of course that I read the first name as the surname :-? )

T.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Jim
In looking at the name again, the name that starts with a G in the marriage notation is not Grazia as I typed above. So I go with T and her Gxxx for that part of the name, which should be the surname. I hadn't perceived the second name to be Luisa. I think T is correct, Jim, that Luisa is the bride's first name. (Hope I understood your response correctly, T). Great job, T.
Peg
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

T and Jim,
Just a thought, although the third letter of the surname doesn't look like a z, possibly the surname is Gazia. I see one listing in the current Italian phonebook for that surname in Naples. My other thought, but the surname is not in the Naples area, at least not currently, was that the third letter was a j and the surname was Gajno, but actually Gaino, since j was sometimes used in the script in place of the letter i. I realize though that in Luisa, the letter is an i and not a j. I have two surnames in my ancestry which, in the state civil records, sometimes had a j instead of an i. One had the letters "one" following the j, and the other had the letters "no" following it.
Anyway, I am just brainstorming for ideas as to what the surname could be.
Peg
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Peg, I think you are on the right track with Gaino (or a variation of that)...

That third letter doesn't resemble the "p" in Napoli - so we can eliminate that one...

Since the script is written by someone other than the official who completed the document, there is VERY little to compare it with... :-(

We gave it our best!

T.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

You both did super with what you had to work with.

Thank you very much.

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.