Trying to find the right marriage document

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
dixiecricket13
Veteran
Veteran

Trying to find the right marriage document

Post by dixiecricket13 »

Hi -

I am trying to find the wedding document for a Joseph Milazzo and a (according to their children's death records) Frances DeStefano, Destefano, Destfina, or unknown.

Question1
Question2

I don't believe either of these records are of this bride but I am puzzled because I can find no other listing in the marriage index for Bisacquino that matches the time frame that they gave on the US Census as to when they were married.

Thank you for help with the translation and please let me know if you can think of anything that I am overlooking in my quest to find out about these two people.

-Christina
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Trying to find the right marriage document

Post by maestra36 »

In the first record, the bride's first name was Benedictam-in Latin- or Benedicta in English (feminine form of Benedict). She was of unknown parents-so there is no maiden name given for the bride.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

The second record is for a marriage with a Francesca Scaglione She was a widow. Her former husband's first name was Joseph as well, but I can't read his last name.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

deleted
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I see what you are talking about, T, but I think that is the name of the monsignor or archpriest. It has nothing to do with the names of the spouses or their parents in the record.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I know...I looked at it again :oops:

That's why I deleted the post... :wink:

T.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Until you get to the end of the 4th line on the right, you are not getting the names of the prospective spouses. On that line, you have Joseph's first name and part of his last name which continues on the 5th line to the left.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

This record is really hard to read, T, and my Latin is very very rusty.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I'm curious. Doesn't it look like there is a name BEFORE Joseph as a first name? It is in the margin as well. You also see it at the beginning of the groom's father's name (or as his first name?)

And yes, this is a very difficult record...
I get the bride's parents as Michael, and what looks like "Natale Giuglia Rxxlia" :-?

T.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

hold on a sec, R. I agree with the bride's parents' names, but don't know what follows that letter R.

The father of the groom is a Caietani (which is like Gaetano); the word before his name is the abbreviation for Magistro or like Maestro, which is master of his trade, probably. The mother Ignazia Nicolo (there is another letter in her surname)

Now I have to go back and look at what is before Joseph, but I think it is the word for him being single like the word celibe in Italian, but it the word in Latin which is spelled completely differently.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I meant to type a T instead of an R, sorry Tessa. Unless you've changed your first name?
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

No, that is after and not before his name. Hold on. Have to look again.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I thought it was a title, too...then I saw it before both there names and thought it was a first name ????

T. (or R :-) )
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I think that is the Latin equivalent for the word "appeared," but I have to look up specifically what that word is.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

But why in the margin where Joseph's name is?
If it's not part of the name, it must be a title...it does look like it is written smaller (as if it's not part of the name)

T.