baptism and death translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
chickenwoman
Veteran
Veteran

baptism and death translation

Post by chickenwoman »

Diane
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: baptism and death translation

Post by maestra36 »

First document-just not sure of one word-

Maria Concetta, the infant daughter of Nicolo Salamone and Ignazia Gerardi, 2 months-of Monte-died and was buried in the (?) of the Church of Saint Francis. The document doesn't say wall or niche or vault in the church, but I am guessing the burial was in one of these.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I may not be correct on the mother's maiden name.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

on the baptism record the mother's maiden name looks like Guardi.

Dated Dec (day?) 1859

I, father Don Giovanni Battista (Capradoli?-maybe we'll eventually get his surname right)-parish priest, have baptized a young girl born yesterday evening here in Monte to Nicolo Salamone and Ignzia Guardi, married, of Monte. To her I imposed the name Maria Concetta.
The godmother was Maria Concetta (Rxxxpella???) of deceased Master Domenico of (Monreale????)
chickenwoman
Veteran
Veteran

Post by chickenwoman »

Guardi was the correct maiden name in both cases. What do they mean by Master?

Diane
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Diane
The word in Italian maestro (masculine) was used as a title before a name to mean "master of one's trade." I think there is an abbreviation for that word in your document before the godmother's father's name.

The word maestro (masculine) or maestra (feminine, as in my screen name) can also mean teacher, which I was before I retired.

In Latin records, the abbreviation may be Mag. for the word Magister which means the same as Maestro in Italian.

Peg
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The title can be either honorific like being a Boss, occupying an occupation that requires expertise or legally conferred by a University as teacher or professor. =Peter=
~Peter~