Need help saying the right thing

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
dixiecricket13
Veteran
Veteran

Need help saying the right thing

Post by dixiecricket13 »

I am going to send off to the comune for information and want to be sure that my request makes sense. Please let me know if this is accurate.

Mi chiamo Christina -, ed abito negli Stati Uniti all'indirizzo sopradetto. Cerco informazioni sulla mia bisnonna, Bernice/Bernidine Milazzo. Nata nel comune di Bisacquino. Cerco questi dati per conoscere meglio la mia famiglia, e per trovare i miei parenti rimasti in Italia.
Vi sarei molto grato se poteste spedirmi l'estratto dell'atto di nascita di Bernice/Bernidine, in carta libera. Nata nel 1875.
Sarei molto grato se potesse ricerca per il suo atto di battesimo e certificato di matrimonio dei suoi genitori. Si prega di inviare abstracts con i nomi dei genitori ', come si sono registrati.
Vi ringrazio in anticipo per la vostra gentilezza e premura, e vi prego di addebitarmi tutte le spese postali e dei certificati.

Thank you!
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Need help saying the right thing

Post by maestra36 »

It is my understanding that you need not send any money for copies of these documents from a town. You should just include a self-addressed, but not stamped, envelope. Personally I don't think it is necessary for you to say that you want to know your family better and find remaining relatives in Italy. The registry office of the town hall gets so many requests, I'm sure, that they don't really care about any of that. I also don't understand what you mean by the phrase "in carta libera."
dixiecricket13
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dixiecricket13 »

I was using an online translation tool and copying and pasting from "suggested" letters. These 2 reasons, especially now that I have combined them, are why I wanted an actual person to look over it and make sure I didn't sound like a mad woman.

-Christina
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I thought you might be using an online translator. You need to be very careful with those. Have you seen the form letters available in Italian to send to the registry or anagrafe office?

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp
dixiecricket13
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dixiecricket13 »

Yes, ironically I combined the information from those 2 sites to get the translation above. Basically I want to say that I am looking for Bernice's birth record and her parents marriage record. Would you be able to word that for me or direct me to site that could?

-Christina
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I will be sending you a private message soon.