Marriage record for Gaetano Fiumara

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
lilbees
Master
Master

Marriage record for Gaetano Fiumara

Post by lilbees »

This is the marriage record for Gaetano and Celeste Scarfasto, January 1818.

It looks like Gaetano's father is Gennaro and the mother's name is Filippa Tizzano. Can't make out the sentence following their names.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/7028/g ... celest.jpg

Can someone help?

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Marriage record for Gaetano Fiumara

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi lilbees :-)

It looks like it reads "privo anche di Axx, ed Axx, e"

Can't make sense of the two words with the capital A's :-?

T.
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Doesn't male sense to me either but thank you for trying.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

It looks as if the document is restricted to interested parties only. The word privio means "deprived or restricted to with "A toA' making such restriction discretionary. My opinion. =Peter=
~Peter~
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Privo di (it is privo and not privio, Peter) can also mean "devoid of" or "free from"-maybe it refers to the groom being free from certain obligations-and therefore free to marry-as in free from God and country-no religious or military obligations. The groom is not a member of the clergy, nor he is a soldier.

Anyway, just a thought. I have seen statements to the effect above on marriage documents, but never anything written as in this document.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Both privio and privo have the same definiton. As I stated it ismy "opinion" and gladly look for perspective or correction or affirmation of my opinion. Thanks for the perspective. =Peter=
~Peter~
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I was just deciphering the word as it appears in the document, as Tessa had and, in this document, it is spelled privo.
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

Maybe "privo anche di Commare e Compare".
L.

P.S.
For what is in my knowledge, the word privio doesn't exist.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Luca
But what would that translate to in a marriage document?
Peg
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

The word "privio" does not exist in the current Italian dictionary. Maybe Peter is familiar with some dialectal form of the word.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Ok, what about this idea? :-)

Since the groom is a minor (figlio minore), and I think living "alla Mammare" (the midwife?), and it appears both his parents are deceased (furono Gennaro e Filippa Tizzano) ...maybe it has to be stated also that he is without a godmother and godfather (privo anche di Commare ed Compare) ... :-?

Then who gives consent? And is there more to the record that might give us that information?

T.
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

I will check the film to see if I missed a page 2. Will be back soon.

lilbees
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Well, checked for another page. This is a one page document. Sorry........

lilbees
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

Tessa78 wrote:Since the groom is a minor (figlio minore), and I think living "alla Mammare" (the midwife?), and it appears both his parents are deceased (furono Gennaro e Filippa Tizzano) ...maybe it has to be stated also that he is without a godmother and godfather (privo anche di Commare ed Compare) ... :-?
Then who gives consent?
T, this is my opinion too.
maestra36 wrote:he word "privio" does not exist in the current Italian dictionary. Maybe Peter is familiar with some dialectal form of the word.
Maybe!
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Thought I would throw in that Gaetano and Celeste had a son Gennaro born in Dec 1817. They were married 11 Jan 1818 in their civil ceremony. They may have been married in the Church earlier.

lilbees