Need help with translation of birth records

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
MissInternet

Need help with translation of birth records

Post by MissInternet »

Hello. I found my great-grandparents birth records on microfilm through the LDS Family History Search Center. I printed them out and scanned them in, so hopefully the quality is good enough for someone to help me with these. It might be easier for someone who speaks Italian and has some idea of what the words should be!

Clemente Di Cori Nati
http://img202.imageshack.us/i/clementedicorinati.jpg/

Cesarina Di Re Nati
http://img85.imageshack.us/i/cesarinadirenati.jpg/

Also, it looks to me like there are several bambino names listed on these records. Is that normal? I've looked at some other people's scanned birth records on this forum and I've not yet seen another where there are several names with commas inbetween.

My thanks in advance to anyone who wants to help with this! The more eyes, the better!

meg
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Need help with translation of birth records

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello Meg and welcome to the forum! :-)

This is birth record #54
The year 1876, day 22 of March at 8:30 AM at the Town Hall in Artena.

Before me Tomassi Cesare, Mayor, appeared Arsenio Di Cori, 43, peasant farmer, residing in Artena, to declare that at 6:15 AM on the 20th of the current month at the house in Via dell'Area Bxxx(?) #10, to Angela Priori (sp?) his wife, age 40, peasant farmer, living with him, was born a male child to which was given the name Giuseppe Clemente.
Witnesses to this act were Aurelio Giglielmetti, 31, landowner, and Gaetano DeAngelis, 58, tailor.

Only the official and DeAngelis signed the act as the others did not know how to write.

T.
rdel4577
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rdel4577 »

The first one:
22 Mar (can't read year)
At 8:30 am in city hall before me Benafri (?) Mayor, Officer of the C omune of Artena, appeared before me Di Cori, Arturo(?) 40 years old, farmer, resident of Artena who declared to me that at 2(?):15 am on the 20th of the current month at the residence on Via dell (?) number 10, to Priori Angela his wife, 40 years of age, same residence was born a baby of sex masculine who he presented to me and gave the name Giuseppe Clemente.
To the act above the following were witnesses Aurelio (?) 31 years old, (?) and Gaetano De Angeli 58 years old, Tailor residents of this comune.
(Cannot really read the rest but the word "sottoscritto" is in there. It seems to discuss that only one person knows how to write).

The second one:
11 Jan 1878 at 10:15 am in city hall before me (?) Mayor official of the comune of Artena appeared Di Re Antonio, 42 years old, farmer, resident of Artena, he declared that at 10:30 pm on the 9th day of the current month at the residence at 23 Corso Garibaldi to De Castro (?) Giovanna (?) his wife 37 years old, farmer, at the same residence was born a baby of sex feminine which he presented to me and gave the name Maddalena Eugenia Cesarina.
Witnesses were Aurelio (?) 32 years old son of Gaetano De Angeli 58 years old, Tailor residents of this comune.
(The rest is like the other one)

Hope this helps.

Roberto
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Hi Meg
Welcome to the forum. I have seen state civil records before in which an infant was given multiple first names at birth. In some towns, I have found this to be a common practice.

Below is the information in the second document:

Dated Jan 11, 1868 at 10:15 A.M.

Informant/also infant’s father: Antonio Di Re, age 42, a water carrier living in Artena. He reported that, at 10:30 P.M., on the 9th of the current month, in the house at 23 Corso Garibaldi, a female infant was born to his wife, Francesca De Castris, age 37, a peasant/farmer, who was living with him. The infant was named Maddalena Eugenia Cesarina.

Two witnesses:
Guglielmo (Avelio??)-not sure of his last name, age 32, a landowner.

Gaetano de Angelis, age 58, a tailor. Gaetano was literate and signed the document, along with the town official.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Roberto has the name of the first witness correct.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Mother's first name in the second document looks like Francesca to me, and possibly a surname of DeCastri(s)...

Same witnesses for this birth.

T.

edit: Glad we see the same mother's name, Peg :-)
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

The name as I typed it in my reply, T, is correct-
Francesca De Castris for the mother.
De Castris is a current surname in the town
MissInternet

Post by MissInternet »

Thank you, everyone! This has been very helpful.

If the relatives I am looking for went by Clemente Di Cori and Cesarina Di Re, do you think these are them? Is it likely that they were given multiple names and chose to use just one of them?

The birth years are pretty close to these records, and I know the town is correct.
Looking for information on Di Cori and Di Re in Artena and for information on Vuocolo and Iannarella in Colliano.
MissInternet

Post by MissInternet »

I did some googling on my own and the street address listed for the Di Cori birth record must be Via dell'Arco Oscuro. That's a current street in Artena.

Thanks again for your help!
Looking for information on Di Cori and Di Re in Artena and for information on Vuocolo and Iannarella in Colliano.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

It was not unusual for those given multiple surnames at birth to later go by only one of the first names, even it if wasn't the first of the names on their birth records. If you find subsequent records for these people, you will see that this is true, as all of these first names will probably not appear on those records. I think you have found the correct records, but if the years do not exactly match what you already know, make sure you check the records for other years to be sure that these children had not died and others were later born and given at least one of the same first names.