Unable to read mother's name on birth record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Unable to read mother's name on birth record

Post by maestra36 »

I was just trying to determine if what is written there (I can't decipher it at all) in any way accounted for him not making the presentation himself. Normally a father would make the presentation unless he was away because of his occupation, as you already said, and is probably the case here. I have many records which say he couldn't make the presentation because he was far away from the country, and I have even have one which said he was in the Americas, which actually helped me to find him on an additional passenger list.

This will, of course, drive me nuts until I figure it out but, sometimes getting away from it for a while, and then going back to it, helps me to decipher the handwriting. Thanks, T.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

T
In the document after the words "attualmente in Napoli,." it reads "pel suo mestiere"

I see this phrase in other records from the town and this makes sense. Because of the father's occupation, he was actually in Naples when his child was born. So his being away because of his work is definitely the reason he did not make the presentation of his newborn and the midwife did.

Peg
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

maestra36 wrote:T
In the document after the words "attualmente in Napoli,." it reads "pel suo mestiere"
Glad to know that, Peg!

Thanks for the follow-up... :-)

T.