translation of marriage cert.

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
lcicchino

translation of marriage cert.

Post by lcicchino »

It was suggested that I ask to see if anyone can help translating this marriage certificate with particular attention to names and locations. Thanks for the help!

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/2350/m ... icatei.jpg
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: translation of marriage cert.

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello again! :-)

This is actually the Pubblication Certificate (Marriage Banns) which were required at the time. The banns were posted on the door of the town hall on consecutive Sundays, announcing the promise of marriage. It gave people the opportunity to see this and speak if there was opposition to the marriage...

It does, however, provide the same information....

It is dated 1895 on 25 April at 8:10 AM (not the day of marriage) at the town hall of Castelpetroso. Appearing before the official is:
Vincenzo Antonio Cicchino, 21, peasant farmer, son of Michele (can't read what is after his name...could be a "middle" name), 52, peasant farmer, and Benedetta Xxxxx, peasant farmer, all residing in Castelpetroso.
AND
Maria Domenica Lucia Biondi, 20, peasant farmer, daughter of Salvatore Mariano , 64, peasant farmer, and Angela Maria Salxxx(?), peasant farmer. All residing in Castelpetroso.
Sorory about the names...I'll look at an enlargement and see if it's clearer
I'll continue with the rest...
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Witnesses were Nicolangelo Vecchiarelli, 62, peasant farmer; and Florindo Pugliese, 44, shoemaker...

It's interesting to see the name "Vecchiarelli" which is the name of the person in New Jersery that Nicola or Vincenzo was headed on the manifest. If I remember, it was a cousin Felice Vecchiarelli...

The left column shows the dates of the banns:
28 April
5 May
9 May (three days before the marriage)
Marriage would have taken place on or after 12 May, 1895

T.
lcicchino

Post by lcicchino »

That is so fantastic that you did that for me!!! Thank you so much! I will spend some time now tracking and confirming the new names you provided. I am SURE I will be back on here at a later time to ask for advice.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Glad to help :-D

Will be watching for an update!
Good luck in your journey...

T.