Last Name Mixups

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Bivalacqua
Rookie
Rookie

Last Name Mixups

Post by Bivalacqua »

I have the marriage certificate from my Great Grandparents. however it is pretty difficult to make out some names. Records I have found on my Great Grandmothers parents have her moms names as "SCHONLIA". I cannot find this name anywhere. Census records state that both GG Grandparents were from Italy and I believe they were married there and traveled here together. What other variations could be used in Italy for this last name?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Last Name Mixups

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Possibly Scoglia? Pronunciation would be something like SKOAL-ya.

It appears in very small numbers in modern Italy; see http://www.gens.labo.net/it/cognomi/genera.html

Perhaps if you knew what area or comune, we might find a local name which fits.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Bivalacqua
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Bivalacqua »

thats kinda why I was looking for the correct spelling lol. I have been trying to trace their roots back to Italy but im having trouble finding any manifest on both her and my GG Grandfather. Census records show he came here in 1877 and it says they married around 1865. But her obit says she was a resident of New Orleans for 61 years which would put here getting here at the age of 4.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Can you scan and post the marriage certificate (or have you done so already)?

Some folks here are pretty good at figuring out the handwriting on these old documents.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Bivalacqua
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Bivalacqua »

Here is the Marriage Certificate and her obit that I found with her madien name
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Oh, that marriage certificate. :)
Carmine

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I'm not getting anything close to "Schonlia" from this document... :-(

Looks like the ending could be "-alina" or "-alura"

Beginning is tough. Don't see anything else on page with that first letter...Any more to the document? Sometimes we can see similar letter formations there...

Carmine - You think it's a "C" or an "L"?

T.
Bivalacqua
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Bivalacqua »

LOL yea Carmine.. THAT certificate. I was lost on it until I saw the obit with her madien name. I think it could possibly be the same but really bad handwritting or bad understanding lol. She was married in Italy so did not take her husbands last name. She eventually adopted it when living here.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

I cut out the bride's parents names and tried to clean them up a bit to help the eyes focus on the writing and minimize distracting elements.

Not sure how much this helps; I still can't make any sense of the mother of the bride's surname.

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVlhvB9

Carmine

Bivalacqua
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Bivalacqua »

I cant seem to make it out either. The only thing I have to go on for now is the obit and 2 death records of her sons which all have pretty much the same last name but it is spelled differntly in all 3 places lol. If I can find manifests for both Maria and Rosario Michel then maybe I can find something more. Census records from 1900 show he came here in 1877 and it says they married around 1865 and it does have Na under the column for naturalization.
Bivalacqua
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Bivalacqua »

I have also had someone else's help and she suggested
Maria/mary surname: SCALONE or SCICOLONE or SCICHILONE...SCAGLIONE??

These r possiblities as well.