Margherita Ianniello birth

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
17 posts • Page 1 of 21, 2

Margherita Ianniello birth

Postby oilman19 » 08 Aug 2010, 16:45

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/5460/i ... tabirt.jpg

In translating this birth act, I found that Antonio was from Casagiove but the baby was born in Santa Maria la Fossa :?: These communities are close but I see no link to cause this difference in location. Is there any obvious answer or do I have to accept it as an anomaly?
Also, I believe the mother's surname is Tescione, but there appears to be a dot over the 2nd letter.
Any opinions?

Thank you
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
oilman19
Master
Master

Re: Margherita Ianniello birth

Postby Tessa78 » 08 Aug 2010, 19:18

Could they have been traveling or visiting and the child arrived "ahead of schedule"? :o

Comune reads Grazzanise Santa Maria Fossa.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 08 Aug 2010, 19:36

It also says the child was born in the Masseria which is probably where they were working at the time of the birth or perhaps visiting there (I doubt this unless they were visiting another worker as the father was illiterate).
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 08 Aug 2010, 19:53

Ann
You just beat me to typing this information. I don't think that Jim is familiar with the concept of the Masseria though. It was basically a country estate owned by a noble man, a feudal lord, a judge, a doctor, an ecclesiastic, etc. There would be a manager of the estate known as a massaro, who himself may have previously been a contadino/peasant who had been promoted to this middle class position, allowing for the upward social mobility of him and his family. The massaro was responsible for the entire operation of the estate and working under him were such people as the contadini and sometimes even possibly pastori, or shepherds, depending upon what kind of estate it was. In this birth record, the estate appears to have belonged to a person named Francesco Abbate and possibly named for him.
maestra36
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 08 Aug 2010, 20:02

Interesting link about a masseria... :-)

http://www.dreamhomesinmatera.com/masseria.aspx

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 08 Aug 2010, 20:04

Thanks, T. I had a lot of websites, but they are all in Italian. Not sure I have them bookmarked anymore though.
maestra36
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 08 Aug 2010, 20:12

I thought this was an interesting twist... To learn more about the "old" masseria you have to find a link to buying a contemporary masseria :-?

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby oilman19 » 09 Aug 2010, 00:53

That is a new concept for me.
It still leaved me with 2 questions.
Did the birth occur in Grazzanise or S.M. la Fossa (why are both locations listed)?
Does anyone think the mother's surname is Tescione?

Thank you for the education. :)
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
oilman19
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 09 Aug 2010, 01:42

The surname in this record is Tiscione and not Tescione.
maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 09 Aug 2010, 13:05

Jim,
My only feeling on this, and I haven't found proof, is that, at that time, the two towns were part of a common administrative district.
Peg
maestra36
Master
Master

Postby oilman19 » 09 Aug 2010, 13:42

I surmised that might be the case, but they didn't seem close enough geographically. I'm sure that is the answer.

Thank you, Peg.
Jim

oilman19
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 09 Aug 2010, 15:50

The baby was born in Grazzanise Santa Maria Fossa. The parents were 'domiciliato' in Casagiove. In those times you had to declare a birth in the town where the birth occurred. Even if you didn't officially live there. When you returned home you would go to the Comune and register the baby as 'domicialiato' in Casagiove. BUT, whenever you needed a birth certificate for this child you would have to go to the town of birth to get one. She was probably also baptised in Grazzanise Santa Maria Fossa since baptisms almost always took place within 24 hours of the birth. Both locations are listed because the Comune of Grazzanise Santa Maria Fossa had to say where the person declaring the birth was living (or a resident of). No mystery really, nothing to get concerned about. You have to be registered (even today) in a comune where you are 'domicialiato' or living. Otherwise you can't vote, receive any community benefits, or health services. I know people who own property in Sora but live and work in North Italy. For whatever reason their Comune of residence is Sora and they have to come back here to vote in an election, which happens frequently as you may know.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 09 Aug 2010, 16:58

Ann
We already understand what you have written above. The problem is that today there are two towns-one called Grazzanise and another called Santa Maria la Fossa, So we are trying to determine if, at any point in history, there was one town named "Grazzanise Santa Maria Fossa," which the record seems to suggest, which then at some later point became the two separate towns. In looking at the history of each town on various internet sites, I don't see anything that would suggest that they were once a single town.
Peg
maestra36
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 09 Aug 2010, 20:19

From an earlier thread... a marriage notation...

The document translated reads as follows:

On the 30th of November 1883, the official of the civil state of S. Maria La Fossa, Frazione of Grazzanise, married Francesco Paolella with Maria Marta Vincenza Valentino.

http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/view ... ilian.html

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 09 Aug 2010, 20:54

What a memory, T! I had totally forgotten that we had seen that in that marriage notation. Thanks for remembering.
maestra36
Master
Master

Next

17 posts • Page 1 of 21, 2

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations