Help with Notation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Help with Notation

Postby tbottegal » 13 May 2004, 23:35

Hi,

I need help with the following notation:

Cagliere Giovanni di Antonio e di N.N. (Vitelli Elena) nato a Trissino (VI) il 28.03.1882

I understand everything except: "N.N." and "(VI)" - what do they mean?

Thanks,
TBottegal
tbottegal
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ptimber » 14 May 2004, 00:09

VI = Province of Vicenza but NN stumps me. Perhaps Suanj will come to the rescue. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Help with Notation

Postby suanj » 14 May 2004, 06:37

tbottegal wrote:Hi,

I need help with the following notation:

Cagliere Giovanni di Antonio e di N.N. (Vitelli Elena) nato a Trissino (VI) il 28.03.1882

I understand everything except: "N.N." and "(VI)" - what do they mean?

Thanks,
TBottegal

Hi Bottegal: an request : (Vitelli Elena) is write on original document or is your note, your explanation??

Normally, N.N., on italian personal document , is abbrevation from a latin phrase, "Nescio Nomen= I not know the name" ( or father's name or mother's name)...only this is genealogy meant....
regards, suanj
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby tbottegal » 14 May 2004, 15:46

Peter:
Sorry - a stupid question! I was trying to make a Roman numeral out of it. Thanks for seeing it for what it is.

Suanj:
"(Vitelli Elena)" is on a sheet created for me by the civil records. I do not know if it is also on the original document from which they gathered their information.

However, there is a related note which does actually exist in the original document that might clarify. Woud you be willing to translate if I send the text?

Thanks again
TBottegal
tbottegal
Rookie
Rookie

Postby suanj » 14 May 2004, 15:49

tbottegal wrote:Peter:
Sorry - a stupid question! I was trying to make a Roman numeral out of it. Thanks for seeing it for what it is.

Suanj:
"(Vitelli Elena)" is on a sheet created for me by the civil records. I do not know if it is also on the original document from which they gathered their information.

However, there is a related note which does actually exist in the original document that might clarify. Woud you be willing to translate if I send the text?

Thanks again
TBottegal

Ok, send me an private message with text for traslation..suanj
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations